Photo

What is this? The End Times or Something?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:12 AM

I've gotta say this whole Red thing is getting seriously weird.

For some time here I've been arsehole numero uno because I had some serious doubts about whether the RED could really live up to the hype. I'm probably on more people's "ignore" lists than anybody else here, but I tend to find people who use ignore lists to be wankers anyway. (You all know who you are, but of course you won't be reading this, so who cares :D ) I personally do not ever use "ignore" lists, it's just a form of wannabe censorship.

NOW, I've seen some real-world images from the RED and after a bit of image manipulation with some custom software I have decided that the RED is a pretty capable camera after all, and should produce a more than acceptable film-out, unlike some models I could mention. I still don't buy the "4K" bit but who's counting....

Meanwhile most of the slavering "Yea-sayers" seemed to have revised their opinions, new saying it's not really up to much after all.

To cap it all off, bloody Jannard then posts an APOLOGY here for his earlier bhaviour toward the skeptics! (Well I hope it was him :blink: ) Whatever will the boys on Reduser.net make of THAT?!

I'm actually looking forward to the day when the first RED feature is released. Not to scoff; I actually think it'll be OK.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

I'm probably on more people's "ignore" lists than anybody else here, but I tend to find people who use ignore lists to be wankers anyway. (You all know who you are, but of course you won't be reading this, so who cares :D ) I personally do not ever use "ignore" lists, it's just a form of wannabe censorship.

That's nonsense -- now if people don't read your posts, they are censoring you? People should be forced to read your posts?

How about taking some responsibility for how others perceive you and your posts?

I think people use the Ignore Posts function when they realize that the person's posts have become an annoying white noise of unpleasantness and that the poster is more interested in the sound of their own voice than engaging in a respectful, fact-based discussion that might actually have some value to both parties and whoever else is listening in.

Anyway, this new post of yours is a major improvement in attitude, I must say.

There are ways of being critical that don't drive down the level of discussion, but you just have to choose your words carefully in order to be more effective and convincing.

#3 Carl Brighton

Carl Brighton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

That's nonsense -- now if people don't read your posts, they are censoring you? People should be forced to read your posts?

What I mean is, there are a lot of participants on this forum and others, who labour under and cherish certain "misconceptions of convenience". If I and other attempt to correct these cherished notions, I/we get called names.

Excuse me if I tend to get annoyed at people whose answer to every inconvenient question is something along the lines of "That old Chestnut", or "don't bring up that old argument again", AS THOUGH THE ARGUMENT HAD BEEN SETTLED LONG AGO, when it damned well hasn't!

Like a lot of religious nuts, rather than be exposed to uncomfortable ideas, they would prefer not to hear such heresy, and hence derive much feebleminded satisfaction from clicking the "ignore" button.

I personally have never used an ignore button on any sort of forum. Everybody has a right to state what they think is their opinion, whether they think it up themselves, or download it from the internet or talkback radio. :lol:

Here's something else that's strange about me. I almost NEVER blow by car horn at other drivers. In fact, when I have to take my car in for its annual MOT inspection, I have to check that the bloody thing still works. One year my car failed because it didn't. After I hit it a couple of times the corrosion must have burned away and then it worked perfectly, but I had a devil of a job convincing the inspector that it was simply because I never use it.

It doesn't matter what stupid things other drivers do, it simply never occurs to me that making a stupid noise after the event is going to achieve anything. Most of the time the other driver probably feels bad enough as it is.

BUT, I have actually had passengers reaching over and blowing my horn on my behalf, because they were annoyed by something another driver has done. As though I'm a total retard for not doing it myself.

That somewhat sums up the way I feel trying to argue with the dim-bulbs who make up the majority of people who post here.

There are ways of being critical that don't drive down the level of discussion, but you just have to choose your words carefully in order to be more effective and convincing.

Ah well, I'm sure people probably say that about nasty lawyers who insist on cross-examining people in court cases.

The thing is, witnesses in court cases are often guilty of various forms of misbehaviour, either it's outright fabrication of testimony, or simply "embroidering" their evidence because they've aready made up their mind about the "correct" outcome of trial.

However, where you have a story that really is true accounting of actual events, if the lawyer suddenly changes gears and asks about something apparently not directly relevant to the case, but that the witness would reasonably be expected to know about, they should still be able to provide a coherent account without needing to think about it too much.

But if they aren't being entirely truthful, holes inevitably begin to appear in their testimony. This then alerts the jury that the person's testimony might not be reliable.

Crudely put, that's what I'm doing here.

Should I be ashamed of exposing posers? Don't feel any...

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

CineLab