Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

http://www.24puser.com/crossing1.mov

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

I'm just getting the quick time logo. Do I have to wait a long time?

What are others getting?

I have every form of QT installed on my Mac and running OSX.

R,

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

I'm just getting the quick time logo. Do I have to wait a long time?

What are others getting?

I have every form of QT installed on my Mac and running OSX.

R,

Same thing is happening to me on OSX. I'm on a T1 connection and it's still going super slow, if it's going at all.

Edit: It went eventually. Just a bandwidth problem, I think. The file is only 71 MB.

Edited by Christopher D. Keth, 23 April 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

So sit and wait, ok, thanks.

R,

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

R,

It's worth the wait to get a nice sample. It's nice looking footage, though not the best test of the system I can think of.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

R,

Hi Richard,

Are you pleased with what you see, since your a now a reservation holder?

Stephen

#7 Michael Newton

Michael Newton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hi Richard,

Stephen

LOL. Stephen, pls give Richard a break. He's now the unofficial Red's spokesperson on this website.

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

LOL. Stephen, pls give Richard a break. He's now the unofficial Red's spokesperson on this website.

Hi Michael,

Richard has ambitions to shoot & complete the first RED feature, using crew from this forum that might have problems buying a camera in their own name.

Stephen

#9 Emmanuel Decarpentrie

Emmanuel Decarpentrie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brussels

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well... Don't know what Richard thinks, but I, for one, am quite pleased with those pictures. I can only imagine what the result is in 4K, projected on a big screen. But still: I, as an early reservation holder, do have a BIIIIIG smile on my face right now !

#10 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Ok it finally played...looks really good. Jackson is certainly putting NZ in the spot light. I lived there for two years, I love kiwi land.

I don't know what to say with regard to its "look" vs 35mm. It will simply come down to individual choice.

I wish I could have seen a lot more.

No need to flame me, I cry "uncle", it looks good, it looks good....I just think 35mm will be my format of choice for a variety of reasons. None of which I can mention without enraging half the forum, all of DVXuser.com, and 99% of Reduser.net.

But it looks good, it looks really good!

R,

#11 Michael Newton

Michael Newton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hi Michael,

Richard has ambitions to shoot & complete the first RED feature, using crew from this forum that might have problems buying a camera in their own name.

Stephen

And if JJ sees his threat through, then Richard will surely have more than enough "crew accomplice" to wrap his Red picture :D

#12 Emmanuel Decarpentrie

Emmanuel Decarpentrie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brussels

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

No need to flame me, I cry "uncle", it looks good, it looks good....I just think 35mm will be my format of choice for a variety of reasons. None of which I can mention without enraging half the forum, all of DVXuser.com, and 99% of Reduser.net.

I think you're completly off the board here: no one on Reduser.net or dvxuser.com will really care about the fact "35mm film will be Richard Boddington's format of choice for variety of reasons". Why? Simply because RED DID DELIVER (and even you, and that's quite a surprise, seem to agree with that fact)! The quality is good enough for most of us! It might not be the same as 35mm, but it is close! Different for what I care! It is just as if Red was a new type of film: neither inferior, nor superior, just looking slightly different than existing 35mm film.

So, I, for one, couldn't care less if some people choose to shoot in 35mm film rather than Red or vice-versa: I know the Red will become quite a usefull tool for the job I am doing and the type of things I am shooting! Period! Sure, there are situations where film will hold an advantage, but I don't believe I will face any of these situations in the next future, so I really don't think I am going to say anything but : THANK YOU RED! YOU DID DELIVER!

#13 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

I think you're completly off the board here: no one on Reduser.net or dvxuser.com will really care about the fact "35mm film will be Richard Boddington's format of choice for variety of reasons". Why? Simply because RED DID DELIVER (and even you, and that's quite a surprise, seem to agree with that fact)! The quality is good enough for most of us! It might not be the same as 35mm, but it is close! Different for what I care! It is just as if Red was a new type of film: neither inferior, nor superior, just looking slightly different than existing 35mm film.

So, I, for one, couldn't care less if some people choose to shoot in 35mm film rather than Red or vice-versa: I know the Red will become quite a usefull tool for the job I am doing and the type of things I am shooting! Period! Sure, there are situations where film will hold an advantage, but I don't believe I will face any of these situations in the next future, so I really don't think I am going to say anything but : THANK YOU RED! YOU DID DELIVER!

Well thanks for some what verifying my theory.

I was pointing out that if I go back over listing why I prefer 35mm, it immediately infuriates the Red and other HD users. Even though one may be pointing out a very logical benefit of film. And since we've been down this road 1000 times it's obviously pointless at this stage.

Regardless of how good the Red picture looks, it won't be the saviour of those who feel they are currently barred from greatness in Hollywood for the sole reason that they can't afford to shoot 35mm. Just as being able to shoot 35mm doesn't open the gates of Hollywood either.

I said the picture looks good, and it does. But it will still be a matter of taste in the final analysis and that's fine. "Good" HD systems have been around for some time now, yet the producers of "er" and "Law and Order" are still shooting on 35mm. I assume they have their reasons.

R,

#14 jan von krogh

jan von krogh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Producer

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

"Good" HD systems have been around for some time now, yet the producers of "er" and "Law and Order" are still shooting on 35mm. I assume they have their reasons.

FWIW... Battlestar Galactica is the new favorite series here in the studio. The dop does CC on set with his hdcams.

#15 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:32 PM

FWIW... Battlestar Galactica is the new favorite series here in the studio. The dop does CC on set with his hdcams.

Here in the studio? What exactly does that mean? I thought the show was shot in Vancouver BC?

I'm sure the producers of BG have their reasons for using HD.

R,

#16 Steve Connor

Steve Connor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

I'd say based on this footage, RED is much closer to film than HDCam currently is which may sway some TV Producers.

I've never seen any HDCam footage that looks anywhere near as good as film. Battlestar has a very specific look which masks the difference

#17 Alexander Nikishin

Alexander Nikishin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:14 AM

To me this footage looks like..........Victory.

#18 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:17 AM

And if JJ sees his threat through, then Richard will surely have more than enough "crew accomplice" to wrap his Red picture :D

Hi Michael,

I am sure Richard would accept support from JJ for this project!

Stephenh

#19 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

Link's down, exceeded bandwidth.

#20 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

i always thought battlestar galactica was shot on dv... seriously though last time i looked the 'look' they were going for seemed to be heavily graded video.

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

CineTape