Photo

Shooting HVX200, editing FCP: how to deliver on DigiBeta?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Stein

Adam Stein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hi there,

I have shot a couple of projects on the HVX200, capturing on the P2, and editing in DVCPRO 24P mode in Final Cut. The delivery requirements of these projects have been simply a finished DVD. I love the camera and the ease of shooting on the P2.

I plan to use this setup again for a two-minute piece, but the wrinkle is that the new clients want delivery on DigiBeta. How do I get the best-looking Digibeta out of my basic FCP system? I could take it to an online place in the LA area depending on the cost... I could take them the whole FCP project with all the media, or a full-res QUicktime file...

Thank you so much for your advice,
Adam

#2 Shane Kelly

Shane Kelly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hi there,

I have shot a couple of projects on the HVX200, capturing on the P2, and editing in DVCPRO 24P mode in Final Cut. The delivery requirements of these projects have been simply a finished DVD. I love the camera and the ease of shooting on the P2.

I plan to use this setup again for a two-minute piece, but the wrinkle is that the new clients want delivery on DigiBeta. How do I get the best-looking Digibeta out of my basic FCP system? I could take it to an online place in the LA area depending on the cost... I could take them the whole FCP project with all the media, or a full-res QUicktime file...

Adam

Adam,
I just got a matrox MXO box at NAB for this purpose and for colorcorrection. It's under $1000 and can even do a center cut from widescreen material. You connect the MXO to the monitor out on your powerbook and it outputs a SDI,component, s-video or composite signal to whatever deck you choose. It may not pay back on this project but should in the future. It is a great product.
Best of luck,
Shane.

#3 Alexander Joyce

Alexander Joyce
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hi there,

Adam

If it's just a 2 min piece you could just export an uncompressed file in a QuickTime wrapper and bring a disk to somewhere they have a DigiBeta deck.
If you'll be doing it more often and you're on a desktop Mac you could get a BlackMagic Decklink card that would let you connect a deck to your Mac via SDI and then rent a deck.

#4 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Adam,

Pilot season is ending in the next week so a lot of the labs will have plenty of free time on editing systems etc. its a good time to get good rates for low budget and short projects. If you can afford it I think the best results would be gained by exporting a full res quicktime and taking it somewhere like Modern Videofilm in burbank for color correction / downconverted output to Digi.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC