Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student
  • London, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hey all,

I am looking to finally purchase my own boom mic, since I feel I'm paying too much to rent them these days,a nd with the amount of projects I do, I feel it's time to get my own. However, I am not very familiar with boom mics, and I was wondering if you ahd any suggestions as to what one to buy.

Preferably XLR output.

I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

Dan Goldberg..

#2 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Oh, and I've seen some pretty cool "homemade" ones (with a broomstick or microphone stand without the legs, etc.). Is that an option, or are there vibration difficulties since it wouldn't have an elastic suspention or foam padding, etc?

Thanks!

#3 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

As far as cheap ones go, Rode make ok shotgun mics.

If you have a bit of money go for either a Sennheiser ME66/416/816 or some of the AudioTechnica gear is great.

As far as boompoles go, again, rode make a nice cheap one, a bit heavy compared to its competitors, but at less that half the cost you tend to expect that. Rode also make accessories like Softies and Shockmounts, but Rycote still do these best.

Cheers,
Matt

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:55 AM

Oh, and I've seen some pretty cool "homemade" ones (with a broomstick or microphone stand without the legs, etc.). Is that an option, or are there vibration difficulties since it wouldn't have an elastic suspention or foam padding, etc?

Thanks!

Yeah you CAN do it that way, graffer's tape a Radio Shack mic to a painter's pole ect. and I HAVE done it in the past but just save your pennies and get a real boom pole with a shock mount and an Audio Technica 14' shotgun and about 50 to 100 ft. of cable. You'll also need a blimp with a fur windsrceen unless you plan on doing all your shooting indoors. There's a place that's making them in India and sells 'em for about a hundred bucks, they're on ebay all the time. I don't know how good they are but for a hundred bucks, it's worth taking a chance on. You'll also need some headphones for your boom oporater as well so he'll have the tools to milk the sound as well as possible also get him a pair of soft gloves to help deaden the sound of his hands on the pole. Figure 4 to 6 hundred bucks anyway. Buy used if you can find a deal and the seller is honest, it should save you a little money. B)

#5 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

Yeah you CAN do it that way, graffer's tape a Radio Shack mic to a painter's pole ect. and I HAVE done it in the past but just save your pennies and get a real boom pole with a shock mount and an Audio Technica 14' shotgun and about 50 to 100 ft. of cable. You'll also need a blimp with a fur windsrceen unless you plan on doing all your shooting indoors. There's a place that's making them in India and sells 'em for about a hundred bucks, they're on ebay all the time. I don't know how good they are but for a hundred bucks, it's worth taking a chance on. You'll also need some headphones for your boom oporater as well so he'll have the tools to milk the sound as well as possible also get him a pair of soft gloves to help deaden the sound of his hands on the pole. Figure 4 to 6 hundred bucks anyway. Buy used if you can find a deal and the seller is honest, it should save you a little money. B)

I picked up a complete boom mic kit from B&H Photo for about $600. It came with the Audio Technica AT-897 shotgun mic, a boom pole, cables, pretty much everything. A Sennheiser would have been nice, but at that price range, not a bad mic at all.

#6 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hmm, I think my father has some lightweight graphite rods in his workshop, so maybe I'll give that a shot. I can always add foam pads for the boom operator's hands, and gloves I already have. hmm...

I picked up a complete boom mic kit from B&H Photo for about $600. It came with the Audio Technica AT-897 shotgun mic, a boom pole, cables, pretty much everything. A Sennheiser would have been nice, but at that price range, not a bad mic at all.

B&H - Am I able to get that shipped up to Canada? That's about the MAX I want to spend.

Thanks for all your input :)

#7 Jason Reimer

Jason Reimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Student
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hmm, I think my father has some lightweight graphite rods in his workshop, so maybe I'll give that a shot. I can always add foam pads for the boom operator's hands, and gloves I already have. hmm...
B&H - Am I able to get that shipped up to Canada? That's about the MAX I want to spend.
Thanks for all your input :)

Yeah, they can ship to Canada. If you go to their website, there's a section under the "Help" tab that explains all of the shipping ins & outs. Have fun with your new mic!

#8 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. And I WILL have fun with my new mic :P

Just in case I chicken out and don;t want to pay that much, does anyone know of a place to RENT boom mics in Canada? Preferably around Toronto/Southwestern Ontario area?

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

Don't chicken out. By the time you rent everything for any length of time you'll end up paying the same amount you'd have spent to buy it. Mics don't change that quockly, they're not like video cameras. A good mic will last you a while. Check Ebay, if you watch how you buy you could probably get everything you need for 300 bucks US or less. B)

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera