#1 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that I will be away for two to three weeks, not just from here but from the internet in general (with the exception of a few loose ends I need to tie up in my email).

So I apologize I won't be able to contribute any witty remarks at odd hours of the night, metric-English unit conversions off the cuff, film processing or exposure info (sorry Dominic and John, you're on your own!), or fan the flames of any number of countless film vs. digital debates.

This is my second year as an Undergrad Undeclared, but basically I am in the engineering core right now, and the stuff is kicking my ass. It'd be bad enough if I had my head in the game, but I'm constantly browsing around here, on two photography forums, as well as being wrapped up in trying to run a photo studio and pay the bills there.

I'm doing a pretty terrible job at all of it, and have decided that my biggest problem is my addiction to the internet. I've enough experience that I feel I help a lot of people out here, and that of course is good for the craft of filmmaking and the art of photography, but I need to help myself now.

I'm going to be helping myself right now by prioritizing. I've been chastised by some for being too into the technology of photography. That's still a passion, but I've come to love the art of photography just as much as the science in the years I've been living and breathing nothing but the craft of capturing rays of light on emulsion. I'm going to take a semester off, assuming I can keep my scholarship (iffy right now), and in the fall I'm going to take some time, assuming I make enough money to keep the studio afloat for the year to devote to filmmaking.

The one area of photography I feel I haven't really mastered is in lighting, and hopefully I can find some work on movie sets that will give me an opportunity to learn. I'd very much appreciate any advice that those on this forum could provide for finding work, I think I'm leaning more towards the NY area as it is closer to home (please email replies to karl.borowski@case.edu, as I won't be checking on the forum anymore).

I'd just like to say that I've really learned a lot here. I've learned more from internet forums and people in the industry than I could ever learn in school, although I do credit some of the classes I took in still photography way back when I was in HS as giving me a good grounding in that regard.

Maybe I'll cough up some money and become a member here when I get back (taking the advice of a fellow internet blow-hard ;-) ) I guess I'm going to start as a loader and try to work my way up. I have no idea really how this will all work, but hopefully it won't be too hard finding work on shoots this summer. From what I've learned locally though, its that there is next to nothing going on here in Cleveland except Indie horror films, which I want absolutely nothgin to do with. I don't mind making films that turn out to be crap, but when you can see that they will be crap before you even start to shoot them, that's the sort of film I want to avoid. I want at the very least to be a part of films that fail brilliantly.

Of the three general areas I've been interested in, filmmaking (science vs. the art), still photography, and being involved in the space program through engineering, I am convinced that there is no future in the R&D at Kodak, as my internship request there was turned down, the space program isn't lifting off the ground in the 3-5 years I'm devoting to other things, and still photography can only get worse, not better. I'm going to continue trying to get business, but I think that everything I learn as a filmmaker will augment my knowledge of photography. I need to start embracing things that compliment like interests, rather than trying to do all of this stuff at once and then not getting anywhere with any of it, which seems to be my current strategy.

Well in any case, hope this place is still here in a fortnight to a month, and hope that this new layout has all the kinks worked out by then. Keep shooting film!

~Karl

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

and hope that this new layout has all the kinks worked out by then.

What kinks?

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

OK, I SWEAR, this is the last one for two weeks ;-)

It's kind of awkward on the main page because the picture icons mean you only see the three newest posts instead of the big list you used to be able to see before.

Also, not to sure about all this "MySpace-esque" features that keep getting added. There's a reason why I'm not a member of that stuff. . .

Now, as for kinks in my life, if you can help out, take my finals for me, get me a job on a film set, and run as a sidekick helping me get all of my labwork done, drop me a line. Number's listed :P

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

What kinks?

Primarily the site needs more devotion to me, and less to David Mullen and Stephen Williams.

Other than that it's perfect Tim!

R,

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:18 AM

Primarily the site needs more devotion to me, and less to David Mullen and Stephen Williams.

R,

I thoought the devotion you have for yourself would be enough to cover any site :rolleyes:

#6 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:26 AM

You now have your own forum category, Richard.

#7 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:00 AM

What kinks?

I don't meant to hijack, but what's the deal with the new look?

No offence, but I didn't see anything wrong with the old look. Karl has a point about it looking a bit 'My-Spacish'.

#8 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:12 AM

I don't meant to hijack, but what's the deal with the new look?

No offence, but I didn't see anything wrong with the old look. Karl has a point about it looking a bit 'My-Spacish'.

I like the new scheme! It's just disorienting at first because it's different, but once you get used to it it's cool. Very "Windows Vista." I don't see the myspace thing you're referencing, besides the 'online' indicator.

#9 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:39 AM

Front Page
I think that for a front page of a site, it has too much information.

For example, I don't want it to tell the date, my computer already has that info available elsewhere.
And I'm not sure if it is necessary to make the posts visible in their entirety on the front page.

The 'My Spacish' comment to aimed at the fact that it is now trying to do everything for me. I come here for a very specific purpose, and it is not to see what the date is, nor am I particularly interested in who else is on-line.
Neither do I really want the full text of the last 6 posts thrust in my face.

Those who are into the whole on-line communities thing may like it, I prefer to keep it as a sorce of information and occasional amusement.

Hey, that's just my opinion, and if this is how Tim want's to keep it, that's cool. I'm still going to frequent the site.. I might just have to bookmark the forum page. ;)

#10 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:46 AM

What kinks?

Make a post - decide to edit using 'quick edit' and not full (which works) - when you hit 'complete' it just reloads the page and doesn't complete the edit..
happened last night - hope I got the terms correct, I cant remember exactly ...

heh - edit! I have tried the edit function and can now see that 'quick' and 'full' are no longer options ...

working now...

Edited by Nick Mulder, 25 April 2007 - 05:47 AM.

#11 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

Front Page
I think that for a front page of a site, it has too much information.

That's not the front page of the site. Unless I'm crazy this is the front page of the site.

#12 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

That's not the front page of the site. Unless I'm crazy this is the front page of the site.

If you simply enter "cinematography.com" that's what you get. But I've bookmarked the forums, and hardly ever go to that page.

#13 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

All I know is that things have come a long way since 1997 or so! The new design threw me off for a second, but I think its pretty nice, good work Tim.

Kevin Zanit

#14 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

I don't much like the new design. Maybe an option should be allocated for users to use the previous version as an option.

Karl, good luck with your climb up the career ladder. Just don't fall off.

R,

If you want I'm sure Tim will name this place "richardboddington.com" with a special adress for sacre offerings, most likely letter bombs.

BUAH HAH!!!

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc