9 replies to this topic

#1 Nadav Hekselman

Nadav Hekselman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:10 AM

The movie is not out yet but the director already made a trailer. stiring up the buzz.

Its in Hebrew and Arabic, but its cool...

Its before color-correction , Shot on Z-1 with P+S Mini-pro 35.

Tell me what you think? (if you understand) :lol:

http://vids.myspace....eoid=2024289481

Edited by Nadav Hekselman, 30 April 2007 - 05:12 AM.

#2 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

Hi,

I think it looks great. Stylised realism in a way. Looks like some good use of handheld and a very natural look. Please let us know when it comes out.

Main criticism: When the Kanye West track kicks in it loses all its substance. The eastern music and the opening shots reminded me of Babel, then, i became distracted and disappointed.

On the photography: Congrats.

James.

#3 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

Nice!

I kind of agree about the music, it kinda took it away from where it is set. Of course...maybe we just like cliched Arabian music rather than cliched American music! ;) I liked the cinematography and the operating looked good - funnily enough I remembered Amores Perros with all the hand-held work. I'd really like to see the whole thing.

#4 Nadav Hekselman

Nadav Hekselman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

There is now an english version for the trailer

http://vids.myspace....eoID=2026128081

have fun...

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

It looks really good. I like the last shot of him looking over his shoulder. Probably more of a performance thing, but the shot was simple and effective. Also I liked the shot in the 'alley' i guess you could call it (where the kid says 'I thought you quit') I love seeing way too much fill in the shade. It always seems a bit sureal to see that, since really it only implys a very reflective building nearby (or sand) I like the color of the fill on that as well, though its hard to tell online of course.

I do have to agree with the music comment. It just seems weird that a movie that seems to be about israelis and palistines would have a song about Jesus in the trailer. Also it reminds me of the Jarhead trailer....everytime I hear that bo-bo-bo-bo bit I think of the shot of the marines running in the gasmasks and suits.

#6 Josh Brokenbourgh

Josh Brokenbourgh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

I like the consistency of scene composition. I also like the use of combining depth with motion. Kudos. I only watched, and actually I'm wearing headphones (in classroom)- listening to rage against the machine which was cool too. It's easy for me to be distracted by sound when I'm looking for imagery etc.

#7 Robert G Andrews

Robert G Andrews
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

Was it me or did the plot appear a bit one-dimensional? I didn't see any *real* action. And what about the dialogue? Don't rely on the music to create 'mood' too much! Wasn't this about some guys walking around punching each other, all in the same or similar location? And was the soundtrack fitting for its location? I wasn't sure... Wasn't that side on shot of the guy raising a gun to another guys head a bit corny? And finally cigarettes and slow-mo walking? Corny? On the positive side, the production and filming was pro. I'm just not sure about your theme...

#8 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

I really liked your use of wide lenses, and how the camera is right in there, close to the actors. The moves are all nice. Kind of reminded me of early Scorsese.

The editors did a nice job on the trailer.

#9 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

Really, really good. I think the light and composition had a lot of emotion in it and the camera work seems dynamic. I'd love to see the entire thing. Well done. Very impressed.

#10 Nadav Hekselman

Nadav Hekselman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Thank you all for you comments, we were aiming for sylish but natural look and im glad to see we achived the effect according to what some of you say.

editing will be over soon and color-correction shortly after (and ofcourse post-sound). will take probably a month to finish.

ill set a link to it the moment its out.

thanks again... :)

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS