Saba Mazloum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • China

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hey guys
Im currently in Beijing china, in negotiation with a chinese director on DPin his feature film.
We will be shooting with the JVC GY-HD100 with mini 35mm adaptor.

What i would like to get suggestion from are, he wants to re-shoot some parts of Sin city, Saving private ryan, The Rock, Prison Break.

Here are few pics of the stuff he wants me to re-shoot, i would like to know how would you guys light these scenes.. camera angles are ok for me, but the lighing is the hard part.. Any help would be rock solid..

I couldn't upload more than 2 pics, first one is from saving private ryan.. second is The rock..
he wants me to do the same lighting from few parts of Sin city, the very hard edge lighting.
. is that effect done most in post ? the hard contrasty lighting?

Oh and what kind of Light package would you guys go for a mid budget?

Sorry for sounding like a major Esl noob.. but hey im in china, what can i do.. ha..

Thanks guys

Saba mazloum

Attached Images

• Picture_5.png
  • Picture_15.png

#2 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hey guys
Im currently in Beijing china, in negotiation with a chinese director on DPin his feature film.
We will be shooting with the JVC GY-HD100 with mini 35mm adaptor.

What i would like to get suggestion from are, he wants to re-shoot some parts of Sin city, Saving private ryan, The Rock, Prison Break.

Here are few pics of the stuff he wants me to re-shoot, i would like to know how would you guys light these scenes.. camera angles are ok for me, but the lighing is the hard part.. Any help would be rock solid..

I couldn't upload more than 2 pics, first one is from saving private ryan.. second is The rock..
he wants me to do the same lighting from few parts of Sin city, the very hard edge lighting.
. is that effect done most in post ? the hard contrasty lighting?

Oh and what kind of Light package would you guys go for a mid budget?

Sorry for sounding like a major Esl noob.. but hey im in china, what can i do.. ha..

Thanks guys

Saba mazloum

The pics are really small on my computer but it looks like they both have a single or a couple of 12+k's as overhead/backlights plus the doors blowing out in the one shot, done with the same kind of light but it's probably shooting through some diffusion. Could be done with a balloon or could be bounced into a big overhead reflector. Whatever the case, you'd need a decent size genny and a condor I would guess, unless you can go through an open roof. That hard edge light is done with lots of power and careful light angle placement and don't forget to flag off the area the camera will be in. If your sets aren't that big and since you are using that JVC that you can push a little, you might get away with a less power, maybe a few 5k's.

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio