9 replies to this topic

#1 Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Galen Carter-Jeffrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Are there any good places that offer student discounts on super 8 stock?

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I believe Kodak offer dicounts in the region of 20% on Super 8 and 16mm film and services. I believe you have to be in a film school to qualify. :)

#3 Joseph Winchester

Joseph Winchester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

Yes, direct from Kodak is the cheapest I have found. There is a form on their website called the educational allowance form. You fax that along with your student ID and get a really nice discount. Call the number on the form or website to get specific prices. If I remember correctly, S8 carts of BW are like $7.50 and Color is around $11 or so. In 16mm, a 400' roll of bw is like $45, which is a great price.

#4 Gerard Furber

Gerard Furber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:49 AM

Anyone know if there's a discount in the UK and if so what the prices/qualifications are?

#5 Joseph Winchester

Joseph Winchester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

Actually, to revise my earlier post (Since I just ordered a truck-load of film from Kodak):

With a student discount, the price for S8 film is:

7265 and 7266 BW Reversal - $7.40

7280 Ektachrome 64t - $9.40

Gerard, you have to call Kodak to get an answer. But here in the US the qualifications are:

- Make sure you are at an approved film school. Call Kodak to find out.
- Download the Educational allowance form from the site.
- Get a professor to sign the form along with your student id number, school name, course and other info
- Make a copy of your student ID card
- Fax both the form and the copy of your ID to the appropriate kodak fax number for your region
- Call them a few minutes later and verify the order

It's very easy to do and takes only a small amount of effort, and you save about half from most retail film stores. A cart of 64t is $21 here at our University CO-OP. So $9 is a great deal!

#6 Jan van den Hemel

Jan van den Hemel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:15 AM

Here in Belgium Ektachrome is by far the cheapest super8 filmstock. The discount for 16mm Kodak gives students is much bigger than for super8.

Edited by Jan van den Hemel, 13 May 2007 - 05:15 AM.

#7 Alex Maksimchuk

Alex Maksimchuk

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • Texas, USA

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Wow, great prices w/ student discount!

Joseph, I didn't know that University CO-OP sold super8 film; do they carry Tri-X and Plus-X as well? Also, do they develop?

Thank you,
-Alex

#8 Jon Boguslaw

Jon Boguslaw
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:28 PM

I'm just a college student (not film major or anything like that). I just call the number to order the film, then they give me another number for me to fax my student ID to. After that, I call them back and order the film with the discount.

#9 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:59 PM

Anyone know if there's a discount in the UK and if so what the prices/qualifications are?

Gerard, there is indeed a student discount, although it is only 10% in the u.k. I'm afraid.
I think you have to fax I.D. card to Kodak here in the U.K. too, although I've never managed to move the process on that far.

In the states it might be limited to certain schools, this might NOT be the case if you are in the u.k. and I wouldn't bring such a thing up with them unless they start complaining about the course you are on. It's only a 10% discount so hopefully they won't be that sniffy about the whole affair.

Also should add that if you buy film from Jessops at all that they also do a 10% discount on all film, tho I expect the E64 will be more expensive from there than Kodak.

Good Luck!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 05 September 2007 - 12:03 AM.

#10 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:38 AM

Yes, direct from Kodak is the cheapest I have found. There is a form on their website called the educational allowance form. You fax that along with your student ID and get a really nice discount. Call the number on the form or website to get specific prices. If I remember correctly, S8 carts of BW are like $7.50 and Color is around $11 or so. In 16mm, a 400' roll of bw is like $45, which is a great price.

Is that really a 20% discount, or is that more than 20% and also includes a pre-pay cash discount of another certain percentage as well?

Glidecam

CineTape

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets