#1 Ashley Barron

Ashley Barron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

Hey there!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a scene I'm lighting. It is an interior night scene, with an exterior on the blacony. It has moonlight and shadows. The story goes that a young boy walks through his home in the middle of the night to find his father on the balcony preparing to jump off. It is not an eerie scene, nor sinister nor sad. It is meant to be a dreamlike, somewhat magical (my director's words) scene. There will be white billowing curtains from the balcony.

I wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to make the scene beautiful, very smooth and soft and nice..dreamlike..i guess. I was thinking a pro-mist filter but that might just make it cheesy and way too soft and halate everything. The only other thing i'm thinking is to have a low contrast ratio and use soft lighting, with polly reflection etc.

If anyone has any other ideas/tips etc. from past experience or whathaveyou, then please pass it along!

Thanks very much,

Ashley.

#2 Corey Bringas

Corey Bringas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

I got a great visual from what you described, "dreamlike" with the white billowing curtains. What format are you shooting on? This dictates how much light you will need... From the visual described above I get the feeling that the light would be coming from the open balcony, beaconing the child to come towards the light, and eventually find his father. I'd almost suggest having little other light in the rest of the house, although one always strives to have some sort of depth in their image. If it truly is a surreal type of scene, how about having candles lit? perhaps this is a bit cliche.. I think i'd stick with my original thought. Moonlight coming through the balcony, very directional, soft lighting, beaconing the character towards it. I personally do not like over hyped blue moonlight as I feel it is not natural. Something like 1/4 ctb even would feel more natural to me then i suppose what is considered more traditional full or 3/4 ctb. I've even gone with just white light as moonlight, though this piece feels like it needs that blue. I'll think it over and see if i can think of any more suggestions...
-Corey

Hey there!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a scene I'm lighting. It is an interior night scene, with an exterior on the blacony. It has moonlight and shadows. The story goes that a young boy walks through his home in the middle of the night to find his father on the balcony preparing to jump off. It is not an eerie scene, nor sinister nor sad. It is meant to be a dreamlike, somewhat magical (my director's words) scene. There will be white billowing curtains from the balcony.

I wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to make the scene beautiful, very smooth and soft and nice..dreamlike..i guess. I was thinking a pro-mist filter but that might just make it cheesy and way too soft and halate everything. The only other thing i'm thinking is to have a low contrast ratio and use soft lighting, with polly reflection etc.

If anyone has any other ideas/tips etc. from past experience or whathaveyou, then please pass it along!

Thanks very much,

Ashley.

#3 Rick Sharf

Rick Sharf
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

just curious, will you be shooting this in a sound stage?

I kind of like the idea of mist or fog, some kind of aerial diffusion as well as only 1/4 ctb, i don't find it too attractive when people overdo the coloring. depending on the format i think something like a junior with a muslin infront of it, maybe even some 216 would look good.

Im a huge fan of lighting with practicals, so i would think that some kind of contrast in color would be pretty cool. Maybe tungsten lights in the room vs the cold blue from the moon.

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Opal

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Technodolly