6 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Lindblom

Alex Lindblom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:44 AM

I ran a cross this http://www.jemof.com/epfp.html and I wanted to share it with you guys...

So let the discussions begin...

#2 Joe Sexton

Joe Sexton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

It would take a huge investment in developing new equipment to make this actually work. I don't think it would ever get off the ground because there is already a good system for printing digital to film, the Arri laser. Also as more movies are shot digital I think that we will start to see more theaters offer digital projection, and then there wont be as much need to make film prints of digitally acquired media. But I could be wrong.

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

Interesting result.

Looks like a variation of a theme in terms of animation. Reminds me of filmed images xeroxed individually and then rephotographed.

Best

Tim

#4 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

Dang, this is awesome. Joe, it doesn't seem at all like he's trying to compete with products like the Arri laser, he's just messing around. It's application would fall in the experimental category any way you cut it.

-there's got to be an easier way to cut those sprocket holes though, even a square-shaped blade on the end of a screwdriver that you could just tap with a small hammer, and cut all four edges simultaneously...

Edited by David Sweetman, 01 May 2007 - 12:03 PM.

#5 Joseph Winchester

Joseph Winchester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

There are many folks who do this with a laser printer on clear leader. Although it is usually for titles and such, not images. And the leader gives you the sprockets. I believe you need to buy leader that is coated, which you can get at Christy's Editorial. Otherwise the toner won't stick to the acetate.

Edited by Joseph Winchester, 01 May 2007 - 02:02 PM.

#6 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

-there's got to be an easier way to cut those sprocket holes though, even a square-shaped blade on the end of a screwdriver that you could just tap with a small hammer, and cut all four edges simultaneously...

there are some tape splicers that have a punch to cut the sprocket holes in the tape, that would get you close, but I don't know how you could actually get the holes acurate enough to avoid having the image jump arround.

The resolution of the printer is probaly not more than 400DPI, so the resoultion would not be very high. Still it is an update on those old NFB "draw on film" animation projects.

Falls into the concertual art rather than Photographic technique realm I would think.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

there are some tape splicers that have a punch to cut the sprocket holes in the tape, that would get you close, but I don't know how you could actually get the holes acurate enough to avoid having the image jump arround.

The resolution of the printer is probaly not more than 400DPI, so the resoultion would not be very high. Still it is an update on those old NFB "draw on film" animation projects.

Falls into the concertual art rather than Photographic technique realm I would think.

You could easily make a rectangular punch that would be a hell of a lot more accurate than cutting each edge of each perf by hand.

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport