2 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

In the late 1960s or early 1970s, Arriflex built several prototype DS8 format cameras based on their 16 S camera. Are there are any technicians capable of converting one of the 16 S/B cameras to DS8 today? Given the price of the proposed Ikonoscop DS8 camera, an Arriflex DS8 camera might be a viable option for MOS filmmaking.

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

It would be a pretty expensive proposition. Just off the top of my head, you would need to make a new pulldown cam, a new gate, change all the drive gears and gear ratios for the sprocket drives, and re-center the lens mounts, which would require a massive change to the whole turret assembly. If you have enough money and enough time, I am sure you could find someone who could do it for you, but it would be very costly.

Why not just find a Bolex H8 and use that? Of course that is Double Regular 8 not Double Super 8.

You would also be quite limited in what film stock you could use, as the DR8 film is getting more and more scarce. Last time I looked about five years ago, I think there was only Plus X black and white reversal, and one Ektachrome reversal stock available in double perf, regular 8 perf.

-Tim

#3 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yes, I realized this would be expensive to do; I was just wondering if it was possible to do at all. I already have Bolex H8 RX-4 R8 and DS8 cameras. They do a very good job, but, as you've remarked, the Arriflex is a much more robust camera. Thirty years ago, I used a 16 S/B for a personal project and really liked it, but I now prefer the economy of 8mm.

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Opal

CineLab

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera