#1 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

I might be on the edge of technology here, but I am working with 10-bit uncompressed 4:2:2 footage (from a telecine machine, the footage has been deinterlaced as well), and also P2 footage from an HVX 200.

I am editing my DP Demo reel, and I need to edit this stuff fast, but working with such huge files off of my external drive is killing me. I have to edit at school, and transferring 300GB of footage to the HDD on the computer isn't an option. How can I set up FCP to do say a 20:1 offline, and then online the footage back to it's native uncompressed HD, or 10-bit state? I am not doing any titles, so I just need the images to be good enough to see for cutting purposes, and then when I online, I will color correct.

If you could offer some advice fairly soon, I would be super appreciative.

Thank you,
Jamie Metzger

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

If you are able to monitor in HD, you may want to consider dropping your uncompressed footage onto a DVCPro HD timeline, and rendering to that format. You can use it to create a frame accurate offline EDL.

#3 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

sorry just saw this, my assumption is you have hi res data files? if this is correct, then take those files and batch convert the lot in compressor to dv codec (or another, but this is good for offline). you edit of these files and if you ever want to reconform then you take the dv files offline and reconform to the original uncompressed data files.

#4 Byron Karl

Byron Karl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

It's simple, you just Ctrl-Click on the footage in FCP and select "Media Manager" then "Recompress." Use the OfflineRT settings and let it create a new project. Now edit your project. When you want to upres, ctrl click on your sequence now and select "Make Offline" and then ctrl click on the same sequence and select "Reconnect Media" and relink the clips in your sequence to their media files on your drive.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineTape