2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

I was searching for various accessories and camera gear on graiglist, because I've had good luck in the past with it, when I came upon a local ad for a Canon GL1 with a low price, and I wrote asking to inspect the camera and what came with it. (This specific graigslist listing has been since removed).
I got the following response:(don't click on the attached link in the email, unless you like pop-up ads)

Hi there,
Sorry for my late reply but I'm currently in England, Wolverhampton. I was promoted to Sales Administrator and I have to take a 6 months trainning program here in UK, before I'll be back home, in States.
The camera is still available, in perfect condition, and I will sell it only in US because here the warranty and the CanonCare are US registered.
The reason why I am selling the camera is because I have just received a new camera as a birthday gift so I do not think I will be using my old camera any more. I don't have use for 2 cameras.
I have attached some pics with the camera to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the camera. I bought the camera 18 months ago and it still has 6 months of Canon transferable warranty remaining.
I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is a worldwide delivery company called TNT. TNT is similar to Fedex, DHL or UPS and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the camera.
With this procedure you will be able to check the camera before I receive the payment.
Click bellow to go to their website:

http://www.web-tnt.c...ut/express.html

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the camera right away.
Let me know what you think.

Best Wishes,
Dana

I decided to pass on the deal, but a few days later I found the following:

http://charlotte.cra.../322619935.html

This was the exact same ad that I responded to in another town.
Here is another variation:

http://boston.craigs.../322616374.html

Then I found an Arriflex SRII loaded, for $2500:

http://atlanta.craig.../320370773.html

I wrote asking to inspect the camera and got the following response:

Hi,
thank you for your email. I still have it for sale. Right now i am gone in my honeymoon in Hawaii but i hope that`s not going to be a prblem because i can still handle the transaction. When i left in my honeymoon, i left the item along with several other items in the custody of iSOLD It because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home, something wrong with my mom and i decided to sell this one before i get back. So if you are still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately. Just let me know...
Thanks

Luke

I also found a second SRII in another town:

http://delaware.crai.../316801050.html

The response to my e-mail was the same as above but from a different address:

Hi,
thank you for your email. I still have it for sale. Right now i am gone in my honeymoon in Hawaii but i hope that`s not going to be a prblem because i can still handle the transaction. When i left in my honeymoon, i left the item along with several other items in the custody of iSOLD It because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home, something wrong with my mom and i decided to sell this one before i get back. So if you are still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately. Just let me know...
Thanks

Elaine

I guess I still have a long way to before I find my mint and loaded Arri SR II for $2500 on craiglist.

#2 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:09 AM

If it's too good to be true it probably isn't.

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

I would never buy anything from a dump like that, not to meantion a $2500.00 ARRIFLEX!!!

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

Opal

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS