Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:47 AM

Dear all,

I am organising a film fest (also film camp) to be held in Brazil in a park called chapada diamantina:

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

My question now is, should I do an international fest or only a latin fest. So, I am first looking for expressions of interest. We'll only accept entries originally FILMED in s8/reg8 and 16mm that avoided the usual way of making films (e.g. home processing, alternative film stock etc). We have the support of the brazilian culture ministery and we'll probably have the festival credited by the brazilian National Cinema Agency.

So, I just would like to know if anyone here would be interested.

Cheers

Richardson

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:55 AM

Dear all,

I am organising a film fest (also film camp) to be held in Brazil in a park called chapada diamantina:

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

My question now is, should I do an international fest or only a latin fest. So, I am first looking for expressions of interest. We'll only accept entries originally FILMED in s8/reg8 and 16mm that avoided the usual way of making films (e.g. home processing, alternative film stock etc). We have the support of the brazilian culture ministery and we'll probably have the festival credited by the brazilian National Cinema Agency.

So, I just would like to know if anyone here would be interested.

Cheers

Richardson

Perhaps it's a language barrier issue but I don't understand what you mean when you write "films that avoided the usual way of making films..."

#3 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:46 AM

Perhaps it's a language barrier issue but I don't understand what you mean when you write "films that avoided the usual way of making films..."

well, for example, renting of expensive equipment, having professional crew etc

examples of avoiding the 'usual ways' include:

* use of amateur equip (camera/lighting etc)
* Use of alternative stock (foma, orwo, svema etc)
* home processing
* home telecine

etc

Also, use of stock and processing as a part of the creative process (I am not talking about simply asking the lab for a bleach bypass)

It's more of a away to show that is possible to make a good film without a video camera, without a big budget and without the aid of major companies/labs etc.

Together to that, the Chapada Diamantina is one of the most beautiful places on earth and the relative isolation would make a very good opportunity to exchange ideas and PARTY.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

The films have to made in Brazil ? How does one cart all their home-brew gear around with them ?

Interested yes but would like to know more details...

Is it anything to do with that field recording (sound) workshop thing I heard about recently ? (dont have any links on me)

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

................It's more of a away to show that is possible to make a good film without a video camera, without a big budget and without the aid of major companies/labs etc.

Together to that, the Chapada Diamantina is one of the most beautiful places on earth and the relative isolation would make a very good opportunity to exchange ideas and PARTY.

And maybe somebody has already started partying already :P because there are no big labs and major companies (other than Kodak and maybe one of the German companies), that work in the Super-8 industry.

It sounds like you are creating your own version of "dogma".

If you are open to any additional rules, how about the film chamber door must remain open between takes, a spiritual sign that there is nothing to hide when shooting in Super-8, plus it may put a cool sideways flash on the film.

#6 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

i dunno anything about field recording... The films don't need to be made in Brazil and answering Alessandro, it's not a dogma or anything. It's mostly to show that it's possible to make films at a very low cost. As an old brazilian film-maker used to say - a camera in the hand and an idea in the head. I was amazed to find out that a cart of vision 2 from KODAK in brazil costs 80USD... So, the numerous groups that used to do s8 vanished. OK, that's for the brazil part, now, for the traveler part, the place is unbelievable. To get there, one has to fly to Salvador, one of the coolest capitals in brazil (and it has a beach). You'll have stuff to do the whole day, beer is insanely cheap (and differently from other parts in the country, the criminality is nil). It would also be cool to exchange techniques and experiences. I know you develop your films, I do it also (and in some extent, make my own film...), I make my own developers from raw material etc and I am now experimenting in sensitising pan films to infra red etc. I am sure that are hundreds of people out there that have their own ideas and methods.

Also, we would give a preference for alternative production methods but it's not essential. We're just on the planning phase, so there's not much info available and I need to get a reply from the agencies that are supporting us (what do they require) then I can pass on the details. Cheers

The films have to made in Brazil ? How does one cart all their home-brew gear around with them ?

Interested yes but would like to know more details...

Is it anything to do with that field recording (sound) workshop thing I heard about recently ? (dont have any links on me)

#7 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

I mentioned the sound recording thing as a friend is going to a workshop in Brazil nearer the end of the year and from my recollection of our gin fueled pointing at maps session it seemed to be in the same vicinity as the green blob on the maps I found in google for "chapada diamantina" ...

I'll have a chat with him and get the details - I have a flight or two backlogged in my system and was thinking it would be a lark to meet him there and film something anyway as I'm on my way to NYC to film a live music vid of a friends band - What an odd coincidence if all this works out in terms of time and place :P

I'll be in touch shortly but as for now I'm prob going to be there anyway so yeh - cool!

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

You pay 80 dollars for Vision II Super-8 film? Why not buy it on eBay for a LOT LESS? Perhaps that includes the processing and the shipping back and forth???

#9 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

i didn't pay 80 dollars for one and it didn't include processing, it's just an example of how unrealistic is the production line for fellow brazilian amateur cinematographer. In any case, what we will be trying to show are the possibilities to use s8 that does not involve a lot of money. According to kodak, there's no lab that develops 64t's and tri-x's (only neg stocks), so, how fair would be to show films that the stock was developed at home...

Moreover, most of the people (actually the 16mm people) I talked to there never heard of ebay... maybe it's the language barrier...

They really try hard to get their 16mm films out and showing alternatives... Anyway, the invitation is still up...

You pay 80 dollars for Vision II Super-8 film? Why not buy it on eBay for a LOT LESS? Perhaps that includes the processing and the shipping back and forth???

#10 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

sound thing:

http://www.malab.net/

not so close after all - but in Brazil ...

#11 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, it's probably the distance between NZ and Australia (but if you think this way it's actually close...)

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

CineTape

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam