#1 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:11 AM

Contrary to all the nonsense about no British films being shot on film, yet another super-16 British film was released this week: This is England.

In a similar vein to History Boys, it seems they were using the format to try and capture the feeling on ar era - in this case the 1980s.

Looks reasonably good, but use of fast stocks and grey interiors means that the quality has nothing of the beauty of Babel's 16mm scenes. The grain is just too chunky.

#2 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

Contrary to all the nonsense about no British films being shot on film, yet another super-16 British film was released this week: This is England.

In a similar vein to History Boys, it seems they were using the format to try and capture the feeling on ar era - in this case the 1980s.

Looks reasonably good, but use of fast stocks and grey interiors means that the quality has nothing of the beauty of Babel's 16mm scenes. The grain is just too chunky.

Nathan I was wondering if you could provide a link to your films on you tube? I tried the link on your website and it didnt work? Could be my end.

#3 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Nathan I was wondering if you could provide a link to your films on you tube? I tried the link on your website and it didnt work? Could be my end.

Ah well screw YouTube, try http://democratfilm....narolafilm.html

or

http://www.channel4....il.jsp?id=39065

#4 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

Ah well screw YouTube, try http://democratfilm....narolafilm.html

or

http://www.channel4....il.jsp?id=39065

Had a look at the documentary exeter. Loved the super 8mm gave it an air of realism and a confined personal view. To me it didn't really say anything at all really just people who were away from home.

I had a look and downloaded some clips from your posts topic This is england. Some really interesting and different ways to tell a story However it belonged on the stage not on film but still fascinating even if wrong for the film world. Although its worth a watch just to bring back the eighties environment which it does well.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

>yet another super-16 British film was released this week: This is England.

Never heard of it; nowhere near me is showing it.

And let me guess: this is another kitchen-sink, grim, drear, cheap drama?

Phil

#6 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

Phil

Phil,

its been all over the press (broadsheet and even tabloid), its shane meadows latest, grimmish i'd imagine- about a skinhead kid. on at quite a few london cinemas or at least was. cheapish for uk, i think its warp so it'll be below £5m and possibly significantly lower than that.

keith

#7 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

http://www.themovieb...and/trailer.php

#8 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

Phil

Where do you live?! Its showing at all the Picturehouse cinemas at least.

There are elements of all the above, but having said that (and I'm taking it second hand) it is supposed to be a good film, full of strong performances.

#9 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

Had a look at the documentary exeter. Loved the super 8mm gave it an air of realism and a confined personal view. To me it didn't really say anything at all really just people who were away from home.

Well, it was more a stylistic experiment than anything else - cobbled together in my spare time. Check out the other link for something more developed. Its frustrating, because I have narrative ideas I want to progress onto, but a lack of time and money as an impediment.

#10 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Well, it was more a stylistic experiment than anything else - cobbled together in my spare time. Check out the other link for something more developed. Its frustrating, because I have narrative ideas I want to progress onto, but a lack of time and money as an impediment.

I tried the other link but it seemed to slow down my computer and freeze on the page.

The film exeter was interesting to watch though. I loved some of the cinematography.

#11 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

Phil

I'm going to move back to the UK and make a movie about a ultra happy British family. The mom and dad are actually married, they love their kids, the kids love their parents. No one uses drugs, the dad spends time with his family instead of in the pub. They have a very positive out look on life and are happy to be alive.

Any one interested in investing in this project, it will be a huge hit I'm sure. What kind of council film grant can I get?

R,

#12 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

What a remake of Mary Poppins , no chance here .

#13 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

I'm going to move back to the UK and make a movie about a ultra happy British family. The mom and dad are actually married, they love their kids, the kids love their parents. No one uses drugs, the dad spends time with his family instead of in the pub. They have a very positive out look on life and are happy to be alive.

Any one interested in investing in this project, it will be a huge hit I'm sure. What kind of council film grant can I get?

R,

Actually that would be different!

As for a film council grant you would have to do another kitchen-sink, grim, drear, cheap drama? OR a take on a Classic OR attack the old establishment but not dear new labour who have the dear leader. For grant favour you could try old English colonialists OR get some message across about past institutinal evil.

ACTUALLY that goes against everything I stand for as my attack on our governments/corruption and high adventure (Grants)would give them a panic attack that would have them reaching for their prozac.

#14 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

For grant favour you could try old English colonialists OR get some message across about past institutinal evil.

My goodness Mark - you echo my thoughts - eery!

#15 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

"For grant favour you could try old English colonialists OR get some message across about past institutinal evil."

Oh damn, there goes my "Glory Of The British Empire" movie :(

Let me guess "we" English must now atone for our colonial past? Geez we made the trains run on time the world over, and what thanks did we get?

That does it....I don't think the British should bother taking over other countries any more.

R,

#16 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

"For grant favour you could try old English colonialists OR get some message across about past institutinal evil."

Oh damn, there goes my "Glory Of The British Empire" movie :(

Let me guess "we" English must now atone for our colonial past? Geez we made the trains run on time the world over, and what thanks did we get?

That does it....I don't think the British should bother taking over other countries any more.

R,

The truth is the english never did However the upper classes did often using the english or more precisely the british as canon fodder Many of those responsible can be found in some of the wealthy financial institutions still running the world and in existance today. As for your average brit they never achieved much usually only poverty and a miserable existance much the same as most of the developing world. The empire was often formed by deals negotiations backhanders etc Much the same as today. The British did lead the world though to civilisation and a future. And played the biggest part in saving the world from the nazis. However the british people are often ptrayed as colonialists eccentrics or other stereotype and now it seems completely and utterly dysfunctional yobbos. As is our history used and abused by the upper classes crapped on by our government and attacked from all sides by mass immigration political correction and a ruination of everything we built. Still no less than can be expected from a media hungry for the next best latest scoop and a political system that cons the people subverts power through corruption and seeks to control everything.

As for the British taking over countries the British never did I think you will find organsations like the world bank do however. Let alone rubbish organisations like the EU.

This is one area where films are failing the people as films should be making political comment on whats happening in the world.

#17 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

"As for the British taking over countries the British never did I think you will find organsations like the world bank do however. Let alone rubbish organisations like the EU."

Hmmmmmmm, well for starters I guess you'll need to start re-writing all Canadian history text books.

According to those texts it wasn't the Dutch, Italians, or, Russians, that took over land lived on by the indian tribes here in Canada. It was the British, and the French a little bit.

So you're telling me all of those countries that where once part of the British Empire all joined GBR of their own free will?

There where people already living in every British colony that got added to the empire.

Not that I think all us white folk can just pack up and move back to the UK mind you. History is what it is, black eyes and all.

Does the UK want 31 million Canadians to move in?

R,

#18 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:55 AM

"As for the British taking over countries the British never did I think you will find organsations like the world bank do however. Let alone rubbish organisations like the EU."

Hmmmmmmm, well for starters I guess you'll need to start re-writing all Canadian history text books.

According to those texts it wasn't the Dutch, Italians, or, Russians, that took over land lived on by the indian tribes here in Canada. It was the British, and the French a little bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------
THE TRUTH then

mmigration has played and continues to play a key role in shaping the character of Canadian society. Although only a minority of Canadians have first-hand experience of immigration, all Canadians have a parent, grandparent or more distant relative who came to Canada as a stranger to a strange land. Because all Canadians share an immigrant past, there would be no Canada without immigration.

Tens of thousands of years before the coming of the first European settlers, ancestors of Canada's Native People migrated across a frozen icepack linking Asia to North America. Over many centuries they spread across the continent, forming a rich tapestry of cultural and linguistic groupings. Approximately 500 years ago, Europeans arrived in what would eventually become Canada. First came French colonists who carved out homes along the St. Lawrence River and its tributaries. They were followed by settlers from France and Britain who gradually established competing colonial outposts in the Maritime provinces. The 18th century victory of British arms at Quebec, followed by the British defeat in the American Revolution sent Loyalists northward to British North America (Canada) in search of new homes.

During most of the next century and a half, immigration continued. Settlers came mainly from Britain, including English, Scots and Irish. Some were drawn to the opportunities of the new world. Others, including many Scots and Irish famine immigrants, escaped the grinding poverty and starvation which followed crop failures or eviction from their lands. Americans also immigrated. Many were lured north to Canada by Canadian land agents or labour recruiters. Some immigrants came empty-handed and alone. Others came in family groups and with the resources necessary to begin life afresh in a new land. Some succeeded, while others struggled and reaped only misery.

While the majority of early immigrants came to Canada from Britain or the United States, other nationalities also came, including non-whites. Many immigrants from continental Europe were drawn to Canada by its economic promise, or as an escape from religious or political threats. In the years before the American Civil War, the Europeans were joined by thousands of black slaves who escaped by following the Underground Railway northward into Canada. After Canadian Confederation in 1867, thousands of Irish and Chinese labourers were imported as workers to build the Canadian Pacific Railway. On the Pacific coast, other Chinese joined the rush of fortune hunters from all over the world who trekked into British Columbia and later the Yukon interior after the discovery of gold.

Canada was a nation formed from immigration

ell before World War II, Canada was already home to people from a wide range of cultural backgrounds. But not everyone was equally welcome in Canada. Canada and North America in general were populated mainly by people of western European culture and tradition. As a result, others who came were often considered "foreigners" because their race, colour, religion, or customs were different from those of the majority of Canadians.

To many Canadians of an earlier day, "foreign" meant different and, perhaps, inferior. Why, then, were so many of these immigrants allowed into Canada? The reason is simple. Canada needed more people to farm the Prairies, work in forests, factories and mines, and to build the country. Gradually, however, racial fears came more and more to dominate the public agenda. Many doubted that an influx of strange peoples speaking strange languages could be good for Canada. Could these "foreigners" ever assimilate and fit into Canadian society? Many Canadians answered "No." Some English-Canadians believed immigrants took jobs away from the native-born and created serious social problems. Certain French-Canadians feared immigrants whose growing numbers might tip Quebec's delicate French-English political and social balance in favour of non-French speakers.

As anti-immigrant sentiment spread, the public demanded that the government restrict immigration. The government responded with new regulations. Existing rules prohibiting Asian immigration were further tightened. The admission of eastern Europeans was made more difficult, and Canada's immigration door was closed to most southern Europeans and Jews. With the onset of the Great Depression in the l930s, immigrants seeking jobs were understandably not welcome. Even British immigrants were excluded. Like other countries, Canada locked its doors to the world, a policy which continued through World War II.

ith the end of World War II, the Canadian economy began a period of expansion. Indeed, the economy grew so rapidly that soon there were too few workers in Canada to meet the demand. Fearing that the economy might stall, Canada lifted its restrictions on immigration to bring in tens of thousands of workers and their families from Europe. While preference was still given to people from Britain and western Europe, the need for workers remained so great that the door was gradually opened to other Europeans as well. Immigrants from southern Europe and refugees from then-Soviet occupied Europe arrived. Unlike earlier waves of immigrants, most who came after World War II did not settle on farms or in remote mining and lumbering towns. The majority settled in cities. Nor were they all labourers. Many were well-educated and trained professionals.

In the years that followed, Canada became home to waves of refugees fleeing from behind the Iron Curtain -- from Hungary (l956), Czechoslovakia (l968) and Poland (l982-85). Canadian attitudes toward immigrants became more welcoming. As Canadians supported efforts to end racism and discrimination in Canadian law, the last racial and ethnic barriers to Canadian immigration were finally removed in 1967. The result was a dramatic change in the sources of immigrants. Non-Europeans, especially immigrants from Asia and the Caribbean, arrived in increasing numbers. Today, immigrants and refugees from the developing world and from other non-European sources outnumber European immigrants by about three to one. As a result, visible minorities have become an increasingly important part of the national fabric.

Hardly British colonialism is it

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So you're telling me all of those countries that where once part of the British Empire all joined GBR of their own free will?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Some did yes for example india was never conquered neither could the british ever have.
------------------------------------------------------------

There where people already living in every British colony that got added to the empire.

Not that I think all us white folk can just pack up and move back to the UK mind you. History is what it is, black eyes and all.

--------------------------------------------------------------
You think by trying to slur me as a racist gives you the moral high ground?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Does the UK want 31 million Canadians to move in?

----------------------------------------------------------
Not sure what you mean here except its a snipe at my annoyance at the mass immigration in the UK MAKING ME in your terms a racist is that how you argue? You slur peoples character so you can call them on it?

As for mass immigration I don't blame those wishing to make a better life for themselves but the UK is a certain size and there has to be employment houses and future for everyone. Howeveer this government have deliberately followed an open door policy and as a consequence our society is becoming unstable. with guns drugs and people all freely entering. We have a growing islamic presence which is worrying as I believe islam and the west is incompatible because islam is more than a religion its also a way of life that does not tolerate well other cultures
---------------------------------------------------------------

#19 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:56 AM

My goodness Mark - you echo my thoughts - eery!

Just read a review about This is England and it sounds really good I think If I get the opportunity I'm going to see this.

#20 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

"You think by trying to slur me as a racist gives you the moral high ground?"

What now? No one is sluring you and calling you a racist what on earth are you talking about?

Did you not read my post? I'm from the UK and I live in Canada, I'm a white UK guy just like you.

"Does the UK want 31 million Canadians to move in?"

That's a joke Mark, a joke! You know humour? What I forgot to add is that once the 31 million Canadians move back to the UK we'll force you all to watch hockey, eat donuts, and slash your military spending by 99%. Then you would have known it was a joke.

The article you found is quite interesting, but it leaves out the military conflicts between the British army and the indians. The indians didn't just pack up and move off once the whites arrived. And certainly there was plenty of military conflict between the Maoris and the English in NZ also. Lived there for two years as well.

Again this is not an attack or slur, no idea how you got that impression?????????

R,

CineTape

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS