#1 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

We shot last weekend and I quickly threw this together. I'm still working on the look, and style, but I thought I'd share what I got so far.

ANTHEMS OF WAR

The final show will be about 7 minutes, so we shot it all in one day on the Panasonic HDX-900. It was a super low budget (less than $3k). We had a crew of about 6 people.

Thanks for checking it out!

- Greg

#2 SpikeUM

SpikeUM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

Looks very nice. I love the first two opening shots the best. I didn't like the bloom on the night shots of the guy with the lighter, it made it feel "new" or too current. Hard to explain but it doesn't feel old in those shots. The production value of the trucks make it look like it took more than 3K to do. Good work.

#3 Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • P.A.
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

It looks really great. I like that strobing look on some of the later shots and the "bleach bypass" look is really nice. My only hang up would be the power lines in some of the shots, they look really modern to me. I really don't know where during WWII they would have giant power lines like that, maybe there were some I really don't know.

#4 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

It looks really great. I like that strobing look on some of the later shots and the "bleach bypass" look is really nice. My only hang up would be the power lines in some of the shots, they look really modern to me. I really don't know where during WWII they would have giant power lines like that, maybe there were some I really don't know.

Ha ha, yeah those power lines are distracting. I'm planning on painting those out. I have a lot of experience in doing that kind of painting so it shouldn't be a problem. The film is supposed to take place in southern Italy. Originally it was supposed to take place at the battle of the bulge, but after a bad winter shoot I experianced where everything froze last winter, and location problems we pushed it back to spring, and moved the story down to "Italy". Hopefully that was a good move, I think all that snow would have been a pain to expose, and stylize. At least my fluid head tripod didn't freeze solid this time!

Thanks for the comments! Keep them coming!

- Greg

#5 Kieran Scannell

Kieran Scannell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Netherlands/Ireland

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

HI Greg.

Just watched the clip looked really great, some production for 7 min! Did i see Hugh Laurie in one scene? I know what they mean about
the night shots the guy with the lighter looked a little too back lit for a combat night time setting and the key was maybe a little to much.
It looked too good is probably the point I'm trying to make. I always like to try and motivate a backlighting source, in this case maybe
a headlight from a jeep just on the edge of the frame would have worked. Anyway i loved the overall look you nailed the kaminski style
camera pretty good.

Nice work.

I would love to see the finished product.

Kieran.

#6 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hi greg, great footage, nice look..., did you use any kind of diffusion on camera or you just added in post, i just wanna know

great job

#7 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Hi greg, great footage, nice look..., did you use any kind of diffusion on camera or you just added in post, i just wanna know
great job

Thanks!

I added a glow in affter effects, I don't know if I'll do it in the actual film though.

- Greg

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape