Marc Levy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

Greetings,

I?ve got a how-to question about a shot for an upcoming music video. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It will be green screen, and I have somehow managed to elude greenscreen shoots up to this point (I know, I know). The shot is of a woman (a tight Med. shot) who approaches a window and sees another version of herself on the opposite side of the glass (thus, same actor). The angle favors the woman on the outside of the glass, and is somewhere between a 3 quarter back/profile of the woman in the FG. The shot will be locked down, and the FG woman will enter frame with her alternate self already on the other side . We will be inside of the glass, meaning we will not see any pane, or wall. We are shooting in DVCPRO-HD on the HVX200 at 24FPS.

The director?s plan is to shoot the window normally, with the alternate self on the other side of the glass. Then, without moving the camera, which is about 5 feet or so from the window, we?d place a green screen over the window and shoot the FG woman. When composited, they?d both be there.

I?m already thinking that the FG woman would be way too close to the green screen, and would catch mucho green bounce. I suggested moving the camera and FG subject back about 15feet, but he was hesitant about ?messing any perspective up.?

My lighting package is very small: a 4x4 kino flo, a 1k Lowell Rifa Lite, a few cheap 600 open faces with soft boxes, and an Arri 650 fresnel.

Thanks

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

Shoot the women on the other side of the glass as you plan. Then simply set up a greens screen seperate (doesnt matter if you move the camera) and shoot the womens back so that its where she would be looking. Resize and position her in post. Once you've shot her and cut her in post it will not have mattered where you shot her (in perfect postiion or not. Just know what it is you want the lighting to be and know the eyeline and where her body needs to face.

#3 Marc Levy

Marc Levy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Walter.

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products