#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

Is this going to be worth watching? I've seen some of the trailers for the show and it looks like it could be interesting.

Does anyone have any inside information?

Jamie Mc

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:17 AM

Actually, I'll have an announcement about my involvement with this show in a week or two. :D

R,

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:56 AM

Could be interesting to watch, but parading artists in a reality format like so many animals, for some reason that grinds against my idea of the cinema, and especially of cinema-making.

But if you're in it, you've got my vote Rich.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

No, No, I'm not one of the 18 filmmakers. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I made a contribution on the production side, that's what I meant.

I'll tell you more when it's actually available to be viewed.

R,

PS: I was on the show, but they told me I had to shoot all my projects on video. I said, "screw that I only shoot 35", and walked away. :D

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

What is this show that you're all talking about?

#6 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

What is this show that you're all talking about?

It's a reality TV show about to start here in the US.

18 film makers go through a selection process (think American Idol but film making) and they have to pitch ideas and stuff i think. The person who wins gets a million dollar feature film budget.

I think thats how it's going work, I'm not sure of the exact details.

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

The winner will not get a million dollar budget to make a film. He'll get a million dollar "development deal."

"On The Lot,'' a show about the search for the next great filmmaker, will feature aspiring filmmakers, including those from Canada, interested in winning a $1 million development deal with Spielberg's DreamWorks Studios.

Now what is this "development deal"? How will it work? What will it do for the winner? No idea?

My question is how will they handle the voting if the contestants are international? Obviously the US competitors would have a huge advantage with the US public behind them.

R,

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

They're gonna have to dumb it down for the average TV audiance so I doubt the'll be a hell of a lot to learn from watching it. If it follows every other reality snooze-fest out there, it'll mainly be a bunch of back biting and emotional blowouts with some halfway hot looking chick from the mid-west being stuck in there somewere who's eather the backstabbing, loud mouthed villian or America's sugary sweet, diabetes inducing wet dream with a heart so golden it outta be keeped at Fort Knox. When we've gotten to the point where there's a show about 3rd rate has beens exibiting their lack of ballroom dance skills and a block of filmschool rejects thrashing out 3 minute shorts on a weekly basis like some sort of half assed, videotape wheilding gladiator, I can only PRAY we are coming to the end of this profit driven, demonic television nightmare. I mean didn't Project Greenlight teach us anything!? Did anyone else actually WATCH Stolen Summer, The Battle of Shaker Heights and Feast!! Contest winners do not nessesarily make the best filmmakers folks.

I had heard a few years ago the Spielberg had been talking to one of the creators of Survivor, the dark odious cloud that started this reality TV horror, and complmented him on how brillant the idea was and how he wished he had come up with it. I found it staggering that a man whom I so respected and had such admiration for would have such unbelievibly bad taste, but then I figured give the guy a break, no one is perfect, right? After all I like chocolate and beer. I just let it go, never imagining in my wildest dreams he'd actually go out and build one of the unholy monstrasities himself. I can only hope, like the mutated clones of Ripley in Aliens 4 that it dies a quick death without suffering too much and God help us all if it ever breaked loose and develops legs! :o

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 10 May 2007 - 12:38 AM.

#9 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

They're gonna have to dumb it down for the average TV audiance so I doubt the'll be a hell of a lot to learn from watching it. If it follows every other reality snooze-fest out there, it'll mainly be a bunch of back biting and emotional blowouts with some halfway hot looking chick from the mid-west being stuck in there somewere who's eather the backstabbing, loud mouthed villian or America's sugary sweet, diabetes inducing wet dream with a heart so golden it outta be keeped at Fort Knox. When we've gotten to the point where there's a show about 3rd rate has beens exibiting their lack of ballroom dance skills and a block of filmschool rejects thrashing out 3 minute shorts on a weekly basis like some sort of half assed, videotape wheilding gladiator, I can only PRAY we are coming to the end of this profit driven, demonic television nightmare. I mean didn't Project Greenlight teach us anything!? Did anyone else actually WATCH Stolen Summer, The Battle of Shaker Heights and Feast!! Contest winners do not nessesarily make the best filmmakers folks.

I had heard a few years ago the Spielberg had been talking to one of the creators of Survivor, the dark odious cloud that started this reality TV horror, and complmented him on how brillant the idea was and how he wished he had come up with it. I found it staggering that a man whom I so respected and had such admiration for would have such unbelievibly bad taste, but then I figured give the guy a break, no one is perfect, right? After all I like chocolate and beer. I just let it go, never imagining in my wildest dreams he'd actually go out and build one of the unholy monstrasities himself. I can only hope, like the mutated clones of Ripley in Aliens 4 that it dies a quick death without suffering too much and God help us all if it ever breaked loose and develops legs! :o

So you like watching reality TV then?

R,

#10 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

I had heard a few years ago the Spielberg had been talking to one of the creators of Survivor, the dark odious cloud that started this reality TV horror, and complmented him on how brillant the idea was and how he wished he had come up with it.

Back in the 80s I heard J.L.Godard mention that he's interested in doing unscripted or improvised movies in which a situation is set up and the participants take off from there. Since the outcome is undetermined, it would be something like a sporting event.

The first Survivor reminded me of that.

During the same talk he also mentioned that he could only have sex with prostitutes.
I forget if it was one of his opening shock lines or a response to a question from the audience.

After all I like chocolate and beer.

You don't drink chocolate stouts? I'd rather a Groelsch or a Pilsner Urquel.

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

So you like watching reality TV then?

R,

Well let me try and lay out a scale for you Richie, IF say I were to "like" being stabbed in the eye with a pencil, I would freakin' HATE reality TV.

#12 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

The first Survivor reminded me of that.

What, the havein' sex with prostitutes part? Me too

You don't drink chocolate stouts? I'd rather a Groelsch or a Pilsner Urquel.

Naw man, ya gotta have the chocolate separate, a hit of choco the a swig of brew, throw in a tall big t*tted Nortic barmaid with legs that start at her neck and a face that looks like she just stepped out of Vogue, who gets off early and wants to see your place and man, you got yourself an evening to remember.... Molesen's, Hershey's and a blond, 3 great tastes that taste great together! B)

#13 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student
  • London, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

does anyone know when it starts? I'm not one to follow a TV series (frankly TV annoys me) but this may be one show that could be worth watching.

#14 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

anyone watch it yesterday at 9:00 those people they let on the show with the exception of one or two, were complete jokes. One of the guys during his pitch took off his belt and whiped the floor. Then when they broke into groups to shoot, all they did was fight, kinda hard to watch.

#15 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

I have a feeling the ones they showed were the jokes. Obviously the first guy they cut ALL the silent akward moments in. There were 50 pitches and they only showed 4 or 5. Then there were 12 groups, but they only showed 2 or 3 making the film.

It is shocking to see how bad some of these guys can be though. Some seemed to have never made a movie before. Making two girls hold a chair while you plan what you 'want to do visualy' is amature hour. Its like saying.....I have no friggin idea what I want to do. Decisions should be made quickly, at least quicker than that.

But this is reality TV, so obviously the worst moments get cut in to make it more dramatic. Situations are made that don't really make sense, all to provoke a confrontation. I think the most telling moment was the way the panel responded to the pitches. I learned a bit about pitching but not much else.

In all I am reserving my opinion untill it gets a little further into the show. I think when Boddington makes his appearance, thats when I will decide if I want to continue watching.

#16 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

I'm not on the show you goof, I said I wasn't. But any day now I will be able to post a link to my contribution to the On The Lot project. I got a very large check today from FOX-TV, so I assume that means I'll be able to show you any day now.

That large check is going into post on my feature, so there you go, the show is actually helping get an indie movie made in a round about way. It might be the only movie they help get made. Certainly makes good banter for my directors commentary :D

I had no need to be actually on the show, I'll have a full feature done (on 35mm of course) in a few weeks. Just scoring and mixing left now and they don't really need me to stand over them for that.

As for the show, I watched the first episode, very very funny. Just like American Idol they chose some real losers for TV fodder and few sharp people.

If I was a producer on that show I'd take away those DV cameras and hand them all K-3s and 1000' feet of film each. DV is kind of a sissy way to shoot.

R,

#17 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

I know your not on the show as a contestant, but you sort of aluded to being crew or something in that realm. I expect you to pop up at some point, but maybe your involvement was more off camera assistence.

Good to hear this show helped someone get a movie made.

About the cameras, first clearly its not mini-dv, its P2 HD, and thats even better than 70mm, right Rich? Second, I think fox could cough up enough for some SR-2s, or at least a 16bl, cp-16 or something a little better. That developing time would make the 24hrs time limit a challenge, but I think the winding time on a k3 would be the straw that broke the camels back. Some might leave in out of protest or tennis elbow.

I still have hope they will shoot film, at least for the later movies. I mean the opening of the show said 'Hollywood Quality films'. If they are trying to make this like hollywood boot camp, wouldn't you need to work with a full crew at some point? Otherwise it would be more like guerilla filmmaking camp. I don't know I guess it will have to wait and see. Though if Rich is involved, wouldn't that by transferance mean something gets shot on film?

#18 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:39 PM

"Though if Rich is involved, wouldn't that by transferance mean something gets shot on film?"

Yes good assumption, if the folks on the show don't use film, "other" people will be as a result of my involvement, more later.

I can guarantee 90% of the people on that show have never even held a film camera let alone shot with one. They are a DV crowd. It's also obvious that most have little to no technical training. But of course why do you need that when you're a "director."

Giving them all K3s and telling them to edit on a flat bed would have been fall on the floor hilarious. Well to me at least.

Note to FOX if you're reading this, I like the show. It's entertaining and that's what TV is all about :D

R,

#19 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:15 AM

also they cant really use film seeing as most of the contestants have no experience with it.

#20 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

I did not enjoy it, found it the same old boring Reality TV gig, just with filmmakers instead of chefs, models, hair stylists, etc.

It seemed engineered to generate hype.

And yet, I have it set up to record tonight *shrug*

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Visual Products