#1 Nathaniel Brunt

Nathaniel Brunt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Wellington

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

Hi, I will be shooting my first S16 short film next week and would like some advice and opinions about lighting some of the locations I will be using.

The film is about a girl who gets caught up in translating documents for a terrorist, and much of the action for this location happens around a computer in the room. The director wants a very low key and threatening look about it, and I anticipate light sources (defiantly during the night scenes) being from practical lamps, though I wouldn't mind parts of the frame being lit by moonlight as a source.

The majority of the scenes in this location will be at nighttime though there will be a couple of day time ones as well. We have to shoot during the day so will have to black out.

Really I'm wondering how others would light this room given this information if they could use any tools they wanted, and also after taking a look at the lighting kit I currently have how they would light it.

Here's our kit at the moment.

2x4ft Kino - tungsten
2x300w arri
2x600w arri
1x150w dedo kit
2x1k pups
1x575 HMI
2x1.2K HMI
and a selection of Chinese lanterns

Thanks....

the first three pictures are the same room and the fourth is a room that joins the first. The last is the hallway from the front door.

SSCN0088.JPG SSCN0089.JPG

#2 Nathaniel Brunt

Nathaniel Brunt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Wellington

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:58 AM

SSCN0090.JPG
SSCN0087.JPG
this one has a window just out of the right frame.

#3 Nathaniel Brunt

Nathaniel Brunt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Wellington

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:01 AM

SSCN0086.JPG

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

I would probably put the HMIs though 4xs of something pretty light like opal and through the windows as moonlight. The kino or a china ball can light the girl motivated from the monitor and he rest can pick out little things motivated from practicals or light coming from other rooms.

It's vague but I don't know exactly the scene(s) and it should give you an idea of how I would approach it.

#5 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Looks like you have a pretty decent kit to work with. I agree with Chris about the HMI's as moonlight, one suggestion I might add is try and break up the light. I notice there are quite a few trees outside the room, this can motivate you to use either the actual trees or a cucoloris to break up the light from the HMIs. The patterns formed on her face can add more of a threatening feel from the shadows and abstract shapes created.

Good Luck

#6 Nathaniel Brunt

Nathaniel Brunt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Wellington

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:12 AM

One problem I also have is that the whole shoot is during the daytime and we are going to have to black out all the windows, so I'm feeling like I can't shoot with the windows in shot, though i would really love to be able to. Does anyone have idea's about how to approach that problem too?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

The Slider

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC