• 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

Hey I just found this lens on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...VQQcmdZViewItem

What you guys think?

Best

For the current price it may be worth the risk. What worries me is him saying "the image circle looks like it would cover super 16". There is a big difference between a lens projecting a large enough circle to cover throw light on the rectangle of a format and projecting a large enough circle with sharp enough rendition to do it satisfactorily.

It's marked as a fujinon TV2 lens so I suppose it's probably made for a 2/3 inch video camera. If that is the case it will probably cover. As for the quality of the lens, I have no clue.

#3 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Chris
Even Do I'm still really confused... thanks anyway

Best

For the current price it may be worth the risk. What worries me is him saying "the image circle looks like it would cover super 16". There is a big difference between a lens projecting a large enough circle to cover throw light on the rectangle of a format and projecting a large enough circle with sharp enough rendition to do it satisfactorily.

It's marked as a fujinon TV2 lens so I suppose it's probably made for a 2/3 inch video camera. If that is the case it will probably cover. As for the quality of the lens, I have no clue.

#4 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Also HE talks about the mount being blank, that does mean that I can put any mount in there as I please?

Best

#5 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

Okay...

That lens will cover Super-16, as it was designed for video use back in the days of 1-inch imaging tubes. However, it has no mount, and isn't worth wasting your time with. You might think it would be a cheap and easy proposition to have a lens tech pop on the mount of your choice, but it isn't. Don't bother with it - If you're really interested in this particular model Fuji lens, keep watching Ebay until one comes along with a "C" mount. The other problem with this lens is that it's a monster - it will bend the mount of your camera if not used with some kind of supplementary support. Yes, you could rig something up, but is it worth it for a lens of unproven quality? (Hint: no.)

If you're looking for a cheap C-mount zoom you can shoot with right out of the box, pick up a Canon 17-102 f2.0. These are available for next to nothing, have a useful focal range, and are light enough (just) to hang off your Eclair without additional support. Don't pay more than $25 for one in excellent condition.

Posted Image

#6 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

THanks Ian

That seems the kind of info I was looking for thanks , the canon looks pretty cheap, hows the image ?

Best

#7 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

THanks Ian

That seems the kind of info I was looking for thanks , the canon looks pretty cheap, hows the image ?
Best

Well, considering that a good, used zoom that covers Super-16 could easily cost $5,000 or more, you shouldn't expect too much from a $25 lens (actually, mine cost me $10). You'll pay more for your first roll of film than for the lens. But if you want to get started right away and can't spring for a Zeiss or Cooke, you might be pleasantly surprised.

#8 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

hahahahaha that's funny

also I want it to ask you, I think it was you that had adapted his canon fd to c mount ? what was experience with them ? and with teh adaptor?

Best

#9 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I have a c-mount to Canon mount adapter for my ACL, and I think it's a good way to go. The adapter costs maybe $35 (tops), but lets you use any of the excellent FD or FL mount Canon lenses, which in my limited experience produce very good images. In my case I already owned 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm lenses, which makes for a nice assortment. The 24 and 100 are slow-ish with a maximum aperture of f2.8, but the 35 is f2.0 and the 50 very fast at f1.2. In my tests I lit for f4.0 and was pleased with my results. What's missing in this line-up is a wide angle -- however, if I had a Peleng 8mm (which normally comes with a Pentax screw mount), I could pop on a Pentax to Canon adapter (I think the original Canon adapter is called a "P" adapter, but there are other brands out there too) and the Peleng would operate just like the others. I've never handled or even seen the Peleng myself, but I understand that there is a fair amount of barrel distortion in the images it produces. The nice thing about all of these lenses is that they cover Super 16 with room to spare, and of course they're not terribly expensive. You can also put a C-mount Canon 15-150mm on your Eclair, but you'll need some kind of support, as it's heavy. Of course, I'd rather have a set of Zeiss Ultra-Primes, or maybe a Cooke zoom... but that's not going to happen.

#10 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Ian
I actually I will be trying alll my canon 17 primes lenses
will see what happens..... I also install ( welll Les Bosher is Installing) a pl mount on my CA-1
So when the money comes for my features ( like 4 now) I'll rent them , the best primes available

Best

#11 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, Martin - if you already own a bunch of Canon primes (not autofocus, of course), you should definitely get the adapter and try them out. Interestingly, on the ACL, if you decide you want a PL mount, you don't have to give up your CA-1 mount, or your Arriflex mount, or your nikon mount, or your C-mount. Still, a PL mount on an NPR will be niiiiice.

#12 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

Well Les Bosher is making me an adapter specially for the canon fd to the c mount with his system so I can roll the f- stops with out taking the lens. Also part of his conversion is to include the PL mount conversion.... and I could choose either the c mount or the ca-1 to convert.... knowing that the ca-1 wasn't going to give me many lenses I give up that one .....
PLus he's is converting the support system and he is putting 15mm rods on the cam plus a handle and support for me to hand hold the cam

I guess the cam is going to come back a Super NPR :)

Best

Yeah, Martin - if you already own a bunch of Canon primes (not autofocus, of course), you should definitely get the adapter and try them out. Interestingly, on the ACL, if you decide you want a PL mount, you don't have to give up your CA-1 mount, or your Arriflex mount, or your nikon mount, or your C-mount. Still, a PL mount on an NPR will be niiiiice.

#13 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'm sure that the adapter that Les Bosher makes for you will be excellent, but you can buy these anywhere and they're pretty cheap. I'm not sure what you mean by "roll the f- stops with out taking the lens," but the cheap adapter I have has a simple ring that stops down the lens to the preselected aperture and opens it back up for focusing. B&H sells them for $35 - here's a picture.

Posted Image

Also, while a PL mount is great, the original CA-1 mount is pretty flexible too. It will accept adapters for Arri standard and bayonet lenses. In fact, I believe my bayonet adapter was made by Bosher - I have used it with my old Kinoptic 5.7 (which has an Arri standard mount, but still works fine in the bayonet mount, especially as it's a non-focusing lens.)

#14 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

hehehe we are responding to each other like crazy, might us well call you up and go get a drink at a pub ( I don't drink but I'll make an exception hehehe)

The adapter looks great and for the picture ( yes I have this kind of sense hehe) it looks pretty solid
Thanks for the picture

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Opal

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS