David Bid

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London, UK

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

I have looked at other forums, but i was wondering if anyone could answer, that the differnce between a Circular polarizer and a linier polarizer? and at what point i would use either one.
i did find that it was something to do with auto focus? ... i think

Also i said in a topic before i was shooting on a beach up coming, i now think that i want to shoot using ND 3-9 - Grad ( depending on light) for the wider shots of skys ect ...
Polarizer
1/2 Black pro mist
and posibly a Chocolate

what are people thoughts? is that too much?

i think that they will all add for the look i am planing for, trying to get high contrast, jarhead and atash and other films,

i am also think that to push process 1 stop, to deepen the black

i am using 64d fuji,

Sorry for all the question but anyhelp would be brilliant, i am looking for pot holes that i might fall into.

thanks again
Dave

#2 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

I have looked at other forums, but i was wondering if anyone could answer, that the differnce between a Circular polarizer and a linier polarizer? and at what point i would use either one.
i did find that it was something to do with auto focus? ... i think

Yeah, you pretty much nead to use a circular polarizer if you are using an autofocus. It has to do with how the autofocus works, and that the linear polarizer renders it ineffective. I'm not exact on the specifics, but I'm assuming you'll be fine with a linear polarizer, plus they are less expensive :)

#3 David Bid

David Bid

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London, UK

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, you pretty much nead to use a circular polarizer if you are using an autofocus. It has to do with how the autofocus works, and that the linear polarizer renders it ineffective. I'm not exact on the specifics, but I'm assuming you'll be fine with a linear polarizer, plus they are less expensive :)

ok cool, thanks so why do they still make circular then? as its more expensive?
is it better for other times or something?

thanks

#4 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

ok cool, thanks so why do they still make circular then? as its more expensive?
is it better for other times or something?

thanks

Well I'm not expert so I could have this wrong, but given sometimes people do use autofocus with video/HD, if they wanted a polarizer they would need to use the circular one. Again someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#5 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

I just shot some stuff at the beach on Plus-X neg with a Tiffen ND .6 and it was a bright, sunny day. Came out very nice. So if you're looking to pick up an ND I'd go with that level of density.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

Pola (or ND) + Chocolate + Black ProMist + ND grad (occasionally)....

Sounds a bit much for glass in front of a lens. I might drop one of those, but which depends on which is more important to you regarding the look -- they all impart a look to the image.

If you want to warm up the image dramatically, since you are using 64D stock, you could drop the Chocolate and use an 85/Pola combo filter plus carry 85/ND combos and use the 85 as your warming filter (though extreme.)

"Brown" is sort of "warm minus saturation" so an overly warm image with the chroma pulled way down in post would give you a sepia-ish feeling.

Or if you wanted a very mild warming effect, drop the Chocolate but use a Warm Black ProMist (Black ProMist + 812 warming filter.)

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab