3 replies to this topic

#1 CJ Henke III

CJ Henke III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

I plan on shooting a TV Pilot over the summer and I do not know where to start with audio. Lets say I have a limited budget of $10,000 and under for everything [mics, lights, actors, etc.] Can someone tell me what would be the best 2 mic techniques for the sound of a show, brand as well as costs, to rent or buy?

And just as a side question, what would be a decent on-site audio mixer, to rent or buy?

My audio technician is very experienced in ProTools, but has never worked in the field with me.

Thanks,
CJ

#2 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Can someone tell me what would be the best 2 mic techniques for the sound of a show, brand as well as costs, to rent or buy?

I'd use a boom, and have at least to different directivities for miks, I'd go for a supercardiod or hypercardiod plus a medium shotgun.

my favorite cardiods and super cardiods are schoeps MK-4 and MK-41, Neumann KM 185 and Neumann KM 184 are cool as well, some people like sennheiser MKH-40 and MKH-50, I never used them so I can't tell.

I prefere to use supercardiods, but with fast dialogs between two actors sometimes a cardiod is better, you don't have to point as precise as with the supercardiod, but it takes more ambient noise... For unexperiencent boom-operators a cardiod is sometimes better because they don't have to be as precise as with a supercardiod or shotgun...

for medium shotgun: sennheiser mkh-60 is the best I know, the older MKH-416 is still a industry standard and good enough, for short shotgun the sanken CS-1 is very nice

For lavalier-miks and wireless sanken miks and lectrosonics wireless is kinda standard, but pricy...

And just as a side question, what would be a decent on-site audio mixer, to rent or buy?

The best value for money I know is the "sound devices 302", if you don't need stereo and 3channels there's is a smaller one from the same brand...

hope this helps, don't know the price for rent, to buy check and compare several web-shops. I guess if you have 10k for the whole flick maybe renting is better, or find cheaper stuff, but there isn't much I can recommend.

cheers, bernhard

Edited by Bernhard Zitz, 19 May 2007 - 07:25 PM.

#3 CJ Henke III

CJ Henke III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

I'd use a boom, and have at least to different directivities for miks, I'd go for a supercardiod or hypercardiod plus a medium shotgun.

my favorite cardiods and super cardiods are schoeps MK-4 and MK-41, Neumann KM 185 and Neumann KM 184 are cool as well, some people like sennheiser MKH-40 and MKH-50, I never used them so I can't tell.

I prefere to use supercardiods, but with fast dialogs between two actors sometimes a cardiod is better, you don't have to point as precise as with the supercardiod, but it takes more ambient noise... For unexperiencent boom-operators a cardiod is sometimes better because they don't have to be as precise as with a supercardiod or shotgun...

for medium shotgun: sennheiser mkh-60 is the best I know, the older MKH-416 is still a industry standard and good enough, for short shotgun the sanken CS-1 is very nice

For lavalier-miks and wireless sanken miks and lectrosonics wireless is kinda standard, but pricy...
The best value for money I know is the "sound devices 302", if you don't need stereo and 3channels there's is a smaller one from the same brand...

hope this helps, don't know the price for rent, to buy check and compare several web-shops. I guess if you have 10k for the whole flick maybe renting is better, or find cheaper stuff, but there isn't much I can recommend.

cheers, bernhard

Thanks and also I'm going to use protools for the audio, my question is what sample rate should I use so that the audio and the video, so they dont have any latency problems between them.

#4 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

Thanks and also I'm going to use protools for the audio, my question is what sample rate should I use so that the audio and the video, so they dont have any latency problems between them.

Are you shooting on Video and record on the camera, or do you use a fieldrecorder?

Basicly the higher the sample rate and bit-depth the better the sound. For most projects I think 24bit 48khz is good enough. It depends on your recording device how high you can go. Most Videocameras record 16bit 48khz... that's the same like DATs.

The sampling rate has no influence on timing etc... as long as your software and hardware can handle it and you set evering like it should be...

If you shoot film at 24f/s for ntsc there can be an issue since ntsc-film is 23.976 f/s... then you should either record sound at 48.048khz and play it at 48khz or pitch down your 48khz soundfootage by 0.1%

cheers, bernhard

I'm so happy to live in a PAL-country :P

Edited by Bernhard Zitz, 22 May 2007 - 03:17 PM.

Opal

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies