Photo

Prep for sending off film for process and telecine?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

I'm going to shoot my first test roll of 16mm film tomorrow. My stupid questions are....

What do I need to do with the film before mailing it out? Do I just leave the end of the spool loose? Do I put the little white sticker on it? I'm guessing the lines on the back of the box are for instructions? I have none. Do I just write "process normally" on there?

How does one normally pay? Do I just ask them the total price and put a check in with the film? Or do I just call in a few days and give my CC info?

I know these are stupid questions. But it's all new to me.

Thanks.

#2 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

Hi, yes, leave the end of the spool loose. As for instructions, it depends on what you are planning to do. What type of film is it? If it's reversal, just tell them to process it however you want- normal, pushed, pulled, etc. If it's negative, tell them how you want it processed, and if you are doing a telecine, say "Prep of Telecine, Transfer All (unless you are transferring only the circled takes on the camera report, in which case specify that.) If you are getting a workprint made, say "Process Normal, Workprint, Print All (or print circled takes.) You normally do all this not on the back of the spool container, though, but on a separate piece of paper known as a Purchase Order.

An example would be like this:

Job Title: such and such whatever
Date: 5/15/07

300' of 5218 500T
740' of 5245 50D
---------------------
1040' Total

Process Normal, Prep for Telecine, Transfer All

If it's for telecine, you should make a note of the aspect ratio you want it transferred in as well.

I always include a camera report, too, taped to the can or spool, but if it's 100' its not needed.

As for payment, give the lab a call tomorrow, and also go over this and everything else with them. That's probably the best thing to do, and the lab will appreciate knowing exactly what you want. Hope this helps!

Edited by Mike Panczenko, 15 May 2007 - 09:16 PM.

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi, yes, leave the end of the spool loose.

Hmm. Not the advice I would give.

It is better to tape the end of the roll down so there is no risk of the roll working loose in transit. If this happens, the roll will tighten up again as soon as it gets onto the rewind bench for checking prior to loading onto the processing machine. This means each turn will slip across the next, and it could produce cinch marks and other physical damage in the stock.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:39 AM

I'm assuming you mean tape the end of the film onto the film that is directly underneath it? Would there be much risk of damage to the film where the adhesive tape is peeled of?

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:40 AM

I'm assuming you mean tape the end of the film onto the film that is directly underneath it? Would there be much risk of damage to the film where the adhesive tape is peeled off?

#6 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:48 AM

I'm assuming you mean tape the end of the film onto the film that is directly underneath it? Would there be much risk of damage to the film where the adhesive tape is peeled off?

Yes, I was talking about taping down the end directly to the film under it. It seems to me it would be a good idea to secure it for the reason Dominic mentioned. At the same time I THOUGHT I may of read somewhere they don't like you doing this.

#7 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:15 AM

I guess as long as the tape is removed by the lab, it won't go through the various rollers of the processing machine. However, I wonder if there's a chance of the tape becoming unstuck and unnoticed by the lab and finding it's way into the processing machine. Even if it does, would it do any harm?

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS