#1 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with these new 650W FCM/HIR (also called FWM) bulbs?
They're meant to be nearly as bright as normal 1000W FCM bulbs, according to GE, about 1/8 stop less, but drawing only 650W.

Everything I've read or annecdotal evidence I've heard sounds good.Different data sheets around the net they have the same bulb life as FCM's.
Some sources say they are slightly higher in colour temperature at 3275K; not a big deal since they're usualy behind a silk or chimera bag which changes the colour temp a bit anyway.

These bulbs would appear to be great in:

Tota Chimera's: More output than 750 EMD's. Less heat to damage fixture, chimera bag.

Spacelights: Less power consumption, a 6k spacelight now only draws 3900W. If you have 10 spacelights on a set, that saves 21,000W! Plus less heat, less energy wasted on air conditioning.

Has anyone used these or requested them in their fixtures? Any problems? Are they more fragile? Is the quality of light any worse?

I'll post back here with my observations of using these bulbs over the next little while, but if they're all they're meant to be, I think gaffers should start requesting these in their fixtures.

Here are links to GE's product pages.

FCM:
http://genet.gelight...ieldCode=FT0013

FCM HIR:

#2 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

John,

Any info on price difference between the normal and HIR version of these lamps?
I hadn't heard about these before, but the product literature looks really interesting.

Ralph

Oh, btw, I think the labels on the two links in your post may be reversed.

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

GE's product has information about the HIR type lamps in the PAR download. According to them, the interior coating reflects the IR back towards the filament, requiring less power to burn the lamp. In the case of the PAR64(s) globes, they incorporate an additional development, making them even more efficient.

#4 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

From GE Lighting's website:

What is special about HIR lamps?

HIR stands for Halogen-IR. An IR (infrared) coating is placed on the filament tube of some of our halogen lamps. This multiple layer coating not only absorbs UV but also re-directs IR (heat) back onto the filament. By re-directing the IR back to the filament, the lamp produces more light for the same amount of energy and the amount of heat generated by the lamp is reduced when compared to standard Halogen products. Therefore HIR saves money by:

* Lowering UV emissions
* Reducing energy costs
* Lessening A/C loads
* Improving preservation of perishable displays

Ralph, the HIR versions of the FCM bulb are definitely more expensive than their standard counterparts.

(all figures USD)
One shop in Toronto sells the FCM's for $10, and the FCM HIR's for $21.
A little more than twice the price; However, if you were using the HIR's to replace 750W EMD's in Totas they're closer in price (EMD's are $15).

So using our previous scenario, to outfit 10 spacelights with 6 bulbs each, would cost an additional $660, compared to regular FCM's.

So the cost increase isn't insignificant, but all things being equal (bulb life, light quality), the savings both financial & environmental (less power consumed, less air conditioning required) certainly make it, in my mind, something worth pushing for.

#5 Richard R. Robbins

Richard R. Robbins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Omaha, Ne. USA

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Hello,
I'd like to make sure I understand this information. It certainly has sparked my interest. More light for less power seems like a good thing.
As I recall, an FCM is a dual-socket bulb (long and tube like) that fits in intruments like the Lowel tota, the Mole 2k zip, some of the nook lights and some of the open face fixtures (Colortran), generally 1000 watts. Or is the FCM the dual-post bulb that filts in focusable lamps like a Mole Tweenie or a Midget, generally 650 watts? In any case, are these direct replacements?
Also, when you mentioned the PAR 64 bulbs, are you refering to PAR 64 tungsten bulbs for the Molepars or Altman rock & roll lights? Are these new lights replacements for these tungsten lights or are you refering to HMI's?
By the way, what is the color temp. of these new bulbs?
Thanks,
Rich Robbins

#6 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Also, when you mentioned the PAR 64 bulbs, are you refering to PAR 64 tungsten bulbs for the Molepars or Altman rock & roll lights? Are these new lights replacements for these tungsten lights or are you refering to HMI's?
By the way, what is the color temp. of these new bulbs?
Thanks,
Rich Robbins

FCM, the same type of bulb is used in the Redhead, Mole 1K broad lights, etc. The FCM/HIR is a direct replacemet for the FCM, slightly higher color temp, same globe life.
Yes, PAR64 cans, like the MolePar or rock'n roll cans. In that application, GE claims a further refinement in the reflective coating, giving even greater efficiency.

#7 Richard R. Robbins

Richard R. Robbins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Omaha, Ne. USA

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

Thanks JD, I think it's time to order some bulbs...
Rich Robbins

Edited by Richard R. Robbins, 18 May 2007 - 04:45 PM.

#8 john Olson

john Olson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • oklahoma City, OK, USA

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with these new 650W FCM/HIR (also called FWM) bulbs?
They're meant to be nearly as bright as normal 1000W FCM bulbs, according to GE, about 1/8 stop less, but drawing only 650W.

Everything I've read or annecdotal evidence I've heard sounds good.Different data sheets around the net they have the same bulb life as FCM's.
Some sources say they are slightly higher in colour temperature at 3275K; not a big deal since they're usualy behind a silk or chimera bag which changes the colour temp a bit anyway.

These bulbs would appear to be great in:

Tota Chimera's: More output than 750 EMD's. Less heat to damage fixture, chimera bag.

Spacelights: Less power consumption, a 6k spacelight now only draws 3900W. If you have 10 spacelights on a set, that saves 21,000W! Plus less heat, less energy wasted on air conditioning.

Has anyone used these or requested them in their fixtures? Any problems? Are they more fragile? Is the quality of light any worse?

I'll post back here with my observations of using these bulbs over the next little while, but if they're all they're meant to be, I think gaffers should start requesting these in their fixtures.

Here are links to GE's product pages.

FCM:

FCM HIR:

#9 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:42 AM

FCM, the same type of bulb is used in the Redhead, Mole 1K broad lights, etc. The FCM/HIR is a direct replacemet for the FCM, slightly higher color temp, same globe life.
Yes, PAR64 cans, like the MolePar or rock'n roll cans. In that application, GE claims a further refinement in the reflective coating, giving even greater efficiency.

Just to be nick picky, Redheads take DXW's not FCM's or their possible replacements.

I'll have to look into these new bulbs as well.

Best

Tim

#10 john Olson

john Olson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • oklahoma City, OK, USA

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Just to be nick picky, Redheads take DXW's not FCM's or their possible replacements.

I'll have to look into these new bulbs as well.

Best

Tim

Another advantage of the FCM/HIR lamps is that you can put three on a 20-Amp circuit - a real advantage on location shoots. Alsoyou get longer gel/diffusion life and lower heat load.

John Olson

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineLab

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Paralinx LLC