2 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Driver

Tony Driver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

I've recently had my processed film back with a telecine transfer and although I was very pleased with the images, there was a slight snag, in that the images were slightly unsteady. Not flickering, but would pull upwards slightly. Would it be because of the transporting of the film?

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Yes this called: poor registration.

The K-3 does not have a registration pin which holds the film steady while the next frame is being pulled down. It uses a single claw mechanism and it doesn't come more basic than that.

Registration with the K-3 is hit and miss. Some loads may be rock steady, others may jump all over the place. As the load gets to the end it will be even more unsteady as the feed is very light and has very little film left on it.

Shots mid roll should be the best.

You can help the registration be ensuring a generous loop so there's no "tugging" as the film gets pulled down.

It's a cheap, but great, camera. Not much you can do if your camera has chronic poor registration. Try using it for hand held work then no one will notice the registration issues. Locked off tri-pod shots will be the worst.

R,

#3 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

"Registration with the K-3 is hit and miss. Some loads may be rock steady, others may jump all over the place. As the load gets to the end it will be even more unsteady as the feed is very light and has very little film left on it."

Registration with my K3 has been quite good with all my films, right through to the end of the rolls.

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies