1 reply to this topic

#1 Daniel Tan

Daniel Tan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

Hi all,

I read a lot of posts regarding the IRE setup on DVX100 as well as on the monitor. I just want to confirm my knowledge about the topic by writing what I understood.

1) Regardless of whether you set your DVX100 to '0' or '7.5', the recorded black will still be the same signal that carry black at 16 Lum.

2) If you set your DVX100 to '0', then your external calibrated monitor say a Sony PVM-1344Q should be set to '0' too in order to show the correct black level you're exposing. Same if you set your DVX to '7.5', your monitor should be set to '7.5' too.

3) Now if you play back your footage straight from the DVX100 to your analog NTSC North America TV, it will look darker than if you play it on a PAL TV.

4) Now, if you bring your footage to a post house for conversion to NTSC VHS, the process will 'compensate' for the 7.5 IRE. And when you bring that VHS back to the same NTSC North American TV, the black will be at the right level and not as dark as before.

Is all these making sense? Or am I wrong? What I'm trying to make sure is that I've the right IRE settings for my camera and my external monitor.

Thank you.

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

Don't set it to 0 unless your inteded output is internet or film out (or possibly pal, though u'd shoot with a pal camera if that were the case) also I think the japanese market might be 0 based.

The reason is simple, namely keep it simple stupid. Your going to ultimatley land in the +7.5 IRE setup realm at some point if its main target is NTSC televisions. So when you change it to 0 and change your broadcast monitor accordingly, you've just increased the dynamic range of the monitors, and your seeing a bit more in the blacks than you would in NTSC. It doesn't help at all because you may think you have some wiggle room when you don't in terms of blacks. You want your referance monitor to referance the system you plan on using.

I don't think that the switch will physically affect the data, it should be the same as always. The problem is you may forget you did it. Imagine on set your rushed, you set it to 0. Then the next day you forgot you did it and set it to 7.5. In the edit bay one day's blacks would look different, and I doubt an editor will immediatley recognize the problem. It may never be caught.

So to keep it short....kiss...keep it simple stupid.

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks