#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:31 AM

I just got notification that i have been rejected from USC.

:(

Now i feel like the first step on the ladder hasn't even been reached.

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Colleges arent necessarily looking for the "best" students; they're looking for the students that they feel they could teach the most to. That says as much about the college as it does about the applicant.
Roger Deakins was rejected from the National Film and TV school twice, it didnt stop him from having a great career.

#3 Stuart McCammon

Stuart McCammon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Producer

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Start working as a PA and you will be too busy learning about film to notice)

#4 Logan Schneider

Logan Schneider
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think that film school is totally what you make of it. I attended Montana State University, and two years later I am a working DP. At MSU I learned to do every job on the set and to make due with what I had. I shot a UCLA grad film last spring and they kept asking when we could get dailies and how cheap they could get specialty equipment. We just laughed.

Having all the toys and teachers can in the end stunt your intellectual growth by making you lazy. You can learn to tell a story at any school. Don't worry about having all the toys to start with.

PS: USC does have good graduates. I'm not trying to put them down, although I wouldn't want to live in that area.

#5 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Don't give up, just keep shooting, keep learning and keep trying. The people who usually succeed in the end are not necessarily always the most talented, it is usually the ones with the most perserverence who work the hardest and who keep trying.

#6 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

So you saved yourself what, about 120k, 30k per year over 4 years? you can make a 16mm feature every other year now.

well, its true.

but it seems that those 4 year universities split your money wrong. If your a film student, then you are more or less commited to that path, so in my opinion, all money should be spent developing those skills. 4 years (and I went to one) end up spending most of your tuition forcing physc classes, writting classes, etc and little goes to pay for film.

Now I am all for a rounded education, its important to be a rounded individual when your making films. But when you exit you'll have huge debt and no job in a very competitive market. You'll find you need a job just to pay the loans. I lucked out and managed to make a lot of money telemarketing, so I had no loans, but I did die a little inside. If your spending the dollar (esp a loaned dollar) you need every reassurance it directly helps your goal (so you can make money to pay the sharks back)

In college I learned two ways: 1. the film and video classes I paid for. Learned very little since little of it was new material to me, I have been reading and making films since I was 11, but I got some useful information from it. 2. I used to sneak into large lecture classes on a variety of subjects and just listen. art, history, science, psycology, business, etc. I didn't take notes, didn't study, what I absorbed I took with me for free, otherwise its at least a concept I could take with me, even if I don't fully remember it. Not that I advocate stealing education, but I learned more from classes I wasn't enrolled in that the total sum of my collegiate career (well of the classes I did pay for) In the end my money was ill spent. I could have in the 4 years I worked put together a feature on my own dime instead of school....and still sat in the lectures!

on a side note, my roomate was just rejected from USC. A guy who holds a bachelors in journalism and radio, and has worked on basicly every film I made as a production co-ordinator and assisting in almost every other department from time to time. 1 feature, a million shorts, 1 rejection letter. I don't see any logic to that.

Keep on shooting though.

#7 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

That is a shame. I suppose it's all gone a bit commercial, anyways. Don't let it stop you (you obviously didn't look enough like Hollywood money to them) just show them they huge mistake they made in not taking you on. :)

#8 Harrison Reynolds

Harrison Reynolds
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hey man I was rejected from USC Film School this year too...but then again Spielberg was rejected 3 times in a row...

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

I was rejected by UCLA's and USC's film school, so I went to CalArts.

#10 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

Im going to apply to Cal Arts, USC and AFI next year.

I'm happy at the school I am at for the moment. I am learning a lot about cinematography. I even dreamt about film stocks the other night haha

It's good to know that someone like you with talent has succeeded, even with set backs.

You give me hope :)

#11 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

I'm also a USC reject, 1986.

That's ok....look at me now!!

Ok bad example, re-apply for next year :D

Seriously though, just go else where. As was pointed out, Spielberg never made it in either.

Lots of talented people don't. I still maintain it's for the elite of US society and Hollywood society. If one of Spielberg's kids applies do you think they'd reject him? Very seriously doubt it.

A buddy of mine just got rejected from AFI, he'll soldier on.

R,

#12 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

David,

Gotta love it!
I ran the film technical office at UCLA in the early eighties and the man (Eric Neufeld) who ran the sound department was a graduate of CalArts.

Chuck

#13 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

Ain't the end of the world, I think not going to 'film school' has been the best thing in the world for my development as an artist. For me, I never got rejected, because my set of high school transcripts going out to USC, Chapman, etc ad nauseam were misplaced somewhere en route from my high school to the mail box.

Of course, I didn't much care, my entire high school tenure was characterized by a "yeah, wateva" mentality; I never understood those people who have anxiety about things like grades, college, SAT's...since all of those things are abstractions by nature. But then again, I'm not shooting features yet, so we'll see how well this works out.

But at any rate, you're much better off than the glut of students who have no idea what they want to do.

#14 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

As was said many times it's not so much about the school you go to, but what you make of it and your own talent and drive. Look into Temple University here in Phila. I'm Loving it up here as we're a nice sized city with a good landscape and enough companies to take care of shooting, but without everyone trying to shoot all the time. Find a school that suits you, whose program, facilities, staff, and price you are comfortable with. And then just keep shooting, everything you can!

#15 Natalie Saito

Natalie Saito
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

usc isn't the only way to get into film! I actually wouldn't want to go there..cuz I feel it's a little too stuck-up and pretentious...the students there aren't necessarily better than those in other film schools...I know. I've met some very impressive people at my school csun.

I suggest you to work on a real set as a PA...that's the best place to start.

-Natalie

Edited by NSaito, 22 May 2007 - 01:09 PM.

#16 ryan_bennett

ryan_bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Ya don't feel bad. To me, it's not about the goodies, sure the equipment is cool and all but really film school is to go out there learn how to work with others and make some friends and eventually help each other out in the end.

#17 ryan_bennett

ryan_bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

wow double post sorry.

Edited by ryan_bennett, 22 May 2007 - 02:57 PM.

#18 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

Einstein's application to teach high school math was rejected.

#19 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

I'm going to apply to USC after (hopefully) attaining a degree in the UK.

#20 Mark Heim

Mark Heim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

don't worry, USC is pretty overrated... most of the students i have worked with from there didnt even know how to set up a c-stand. nothing against USC, but honestly i havent been impressed with their students at all. there are plenty of other ways to get into the industry.

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport