#1 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

Anyone going this year? Some movies in the festival look pretty good.

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

To be honest Cannes is only worth going if you have a film selected there, because otherwise you're one of litterally thousands. The majority of people there are either journalists or producers who are there to sell their projects and have one meeting after another.

#3 Angeliki Makraki

Angeliki Makraki
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Other
  • Athens, Greece

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

To be honest Cannes is only worth going if you have a film selected there, because otherwise you're one of litterally thousands. The majority of people there are either journalists or producers who are there to sell their projects and have one meeting after another.

Have you ever been ? Hey, I hear that Gus Van Sant's new movie is superior to Elephant in every way.

#4 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

I was there last year. Didn't see a single film as you have to queue, but went to plenty of parties. The German one is always top, believe it or not.

I have only read some reviews about films, Van Sant got the special prize for the 60th anniversary. I'm pleased that the Rumanian Film '4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days' won, although the Austrian film 'Import/Export' is also supposed to be very good and didn't get a prize. Well let's hope that these films come to our cinemas soon.

#5 Marcel Zyskind

Marcel Zyskind
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Cph

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hi

I was there this year since I had two films in the festival. What a madhouse though. As Max said, only go if you have a film there or if you're press.

I saw Roy Anderssons new film there Du Levande. Nice cinematography. Roy Andersson style. Bit of a tough watch towards the end as the film dragged on a bit.

I must say, for the worlds biggest film festival, the projectors are crap. In the main theatre the projectors were very cold. In Debussy Theatre one of the projectors were out of focus and the image wasn't really stable. The projectionists must be overworked or they don't care, but their reel changes were really bad!
10 seconds black between reel 1 and 2 at the premiere of one our films. I was in chok.

This guys saw a lot of films:

http://blogs.indiewi...ives/13649.html

All the best
Marcel

#6 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi Marcel

What format did you shoot Michael Winterbottom's film on? I read some good reviews about it, shame it didn't win anything.

Wow, that's a bummer about the projeciton, that's good to know. In Venice on the other hand I found the projection to be top notch, really crisp.

So how many camera moves were in Roy Anderson's film? In 'Songs from the second Floor' there was exactly one tracking shot. All the rest was static.

#7 Marcel Zyskind

Marcel Zyskind
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Cph

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

Hi Marcel

What format did you shoot Michael Winterbottom's film on? I read some good reviews about it, shame it didn't win anything.

Wow, that's a bummer about the projeciton, that's good to know. In Venice on the other hand I found the projection to be top notch, really crisp.

So how many camera moves were in Roy Anderson's film? In 'Songs from the second Floor' there was exactly one tracking shot. All the rest was static.

Hi Max

Michael's film was shot on HDCAM on the Sony HDW750. Flashback sequences on DV and anamorphic 35mm. It's a good film, I'm very pleased with it. It was shown out of competition.

Projection in Berlin is really good as well. Don't have good memories from Venice since a sound reel snapped when we showed Code 46 there and it took 30 minutes to get going again. Never again picture and sound separate. Combined print only! Remember.

Also in Cannes, in the small theatre in the main building, can't remember the name, there was a shadow at the bottom of the screen, from the frame of the projection window! Another chok.

I think there was three tracking shots in Roy's film. One really big one which came as huge surprise and woke me up a bit and then two very subtle ones.

Marcel

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Visual Products

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider