4 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

I saw this charming little Irish musical-romance film today, "Once" -- a very simple movie by any measure but well done in a sort of slice-of-life crude handheld method.

I was baffled by the shooting format - while it was clearly prosumer video from the deep focus, edge artifacts, zooming at night, but the softness and noise seemed somewhere between DV and HD.

I think this may have been the first HDV feature I've seen in the theaters, which I can't say is all that technically impressive. My guess would be something like a 50i Sony Z1, I don't know. If that's what I saw, it's definitely not on the same level as an pro 2/3" HD camcorder; it's somewhere just above regular DV.

But it suited the material, which was pretty low-key and unstylized. Day scenes looked the best, more like soft 16mm.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

I saw this charming little Irish musical-romance film today, "Once" -- a very simple movie by any measure but well done in a sort of slice-of-life crude handheld method.

I was baffled by the shooting format - while it was clearly prosumer video from the deep focus, edge artifacts, zooming at night, but the softness and noise seemed somewhere between DV and HD.

I think this may have been the first HDV feature I've seen in the theaters, which I can't say is all that technically impressive. My guess would be something like a 50i Sony Z1, I don't know. If that's what I saw, it's definitely not on the same level as an pro 2/3" HD camcorder; it's somewhere just above regular DV.

But it suited the material, which was pretty low-key and unstylized. Day scenes looked the best, more like soft 16mm.

I just shot a thesis film on HDV with a Redrocklens adapter and I must say I'm not at all impressed. I was consistently disappointed with how the format just falls apart with any sort of camera movement.

#3 Antti Näyhä

Antti Näyhä
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Other
  • Belgium/Finland

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:53 AM

For what it's worth, the director is just talking about "DV" in his interviews. He also mentioned a Sony.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

For what it's worth, the director is just talking about "DV" in his interviews. He also mentioned a Sony.

I was just basing that on this quote:

http://www.moviesonl...news_12026.html

MoviesOnline: What camera did you use to shoot it?

John Carney: We shot it on three of those little Sony HDVs. I think they?re called 325?s or something.

---

But the only "325" I can find online is a Digital-8 TRV-325 PAL camcorder, so you may be right.

#5 eoin mc loughlin

eoin mc loughlin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

Hey David,
Check out this link....the Dp Tim Fleming leaves a little note about the film...and how it was shot

http://www.filmmaker...hread.php?t=898

ps. You were right about the Z1s!!!

Eoin Mc Loughlin
Dublin

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam