#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

Has there even been a meet up for the members of Cinematography.com?

If there has been and there is going to be one what are the details?

I would love to pick everyones brain and watch some peoples material.

Jamie McIntyre

#2 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

There have been a few at various industry type events. These are mostly limited to LA, NY and Vegas during NAB it seems though.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

A number of us ran into each other at CineGear last year at lunchtime.

#4 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

Would be fun to hold a kind of roundtable too.

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

I can make it if you hold one in Newcastle. :)

Here's some information about one of the most trendy and cosmopolitan places in Europe.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

There are now enough in the UK to make it somewhat worthwhile, I guess.

Anyone interested?

Phil

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:30 AM

I can make it if you hold one in Newcastle. :)

Here's some information about one of the most trendy and cosmopolitan places in Europe.

So Matthew, were you a student at Royal Grammar School, Newcastle and can we call you a Novocastrian? Also how come you don't have the Arms of Newcastle upon Tyne on your post somewhere? If El Paso had a cool logo like that I'd have it on mine. If we did have a coat of arms it'd probably be a rattlesnake covered in dirt from a sandstorm. And what famous landmark listed do you live near the famous Grey Street? Our most famous landmark is probably the grave of the imfamous gunfighter John Wesley Harden the most dangerous killer of the old west, who is reputed to have shot 44 men, one for snoring. Hardin was gunned down, shot in the back in the Acme Saloon in El Paso in 1895 while playing dice by Constable John Selman, a gunman who had manage to get elected and was hired by Martin Morose to kill Hardin when Morose found out Hardin was having an affair with his wife. The ironical part of it was Hardin was pretty much reformed, having spent 15 years in prison, studied law and become a lawyer. He had given up drinking and was trying to live a decent life. Just goes to show ya, it never pays to be too decent. B)

http://en.wikipedia....castle-tyne.jpg

#8 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

I think a meet up would be fun. I doubt I could make it unless it was somewhere in the midwest (then I could probably just drive) or somewhere like NAB.

#9 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

It would have to here U.K. or Europe for me , not going to the states until your present numb nut govenment are long gone .

#10 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

It would have to here U.K. or Europe for me , not going to the states until your present numb nut govenment are long gone .

Hi John,

I am going to IBC in September, hopefully Phil we be there, then we can go for that Beer with Jim.

Stephen

#11 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

Sounds good to me Stephen , never been to IBC so be gentle with me , John .

#12 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

So Matthew, were you a student at Royal Grammar School, Newcastle and can we call you a Novocastrian? Also how come you don't have the Arms of Newcastle upon Tyne on your post somewhere? If El Paso had a cool logo like that I'd have it on mine. If we did have a coat of arms it'd probably be a rattlesnake covered in dirt from a sandstorm. And what famous landmark listed do you live near the famous Grey Street? Our most famous landmark is probably the grave of the imfamous gunfighter John Wesley Harden the most dangerous killer of the old west, who is reputed to have shot 44 men, one for snoring. Hardin was gunned down, shot in the back in the Acme Saloon in El Paso in 1895 while playing dice by Constable John Selman, a gunman who had manage to get elected and was hired by Martin Morose to kill Hardin when Morose found out Hardin was having an affair with his wife. The ironical part of it was Hardin was pretty much reformed, having spent 15 years in prison, studied law and become a lawyer. He had given up drinking and was trying to live a decent life. Just goes to show ya, it never pays to be too decent. B)

http://en.wikipedia....castle-tyne.jpg

Well. :blink:

I'm not an attendee of that snob school, (you often see those poor saps aroond toon). I live in Fenham. :)

Fenham.

Here's a photographic tour of Fenham. All of these locations are within half a mile of my home. The village green is even at the bottom of my street. :)

#13 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:09 PM

Here's a photographic tour of Fenham. All of these locations are within half a mile of my home. The village green is even at the bottom of my street. :)

Hi Matthew,

Amsterdam has my vote. Probably cheaper to get to with Easy Jet!

Stephen

#14 Carlos_Martinez

Carlos_Martinez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

well im from chicago and always looking for people to pick brains with on cinematography. But im sure im the only chicago native on these boards.
I though however do belong on other forums where meet ups are usual and well its weird it brings people closer together and its just nice putting faces onto screen names.

so if any one in the chi-twizzle(chicago) wants to meet up im all for it.

carlos martinez

#15 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

I like knowing that people from other countries dislike the US government as much, or more as some Americans. It kind of puts it in a sort of new perspective (at least for me, anyways....and I don't like the government now either I might add)

well im from chicago and always looking for people to pick brains with on cinematography. But im sure im the only chicago native on these boards.
I though however do belong on other forums where meet ups are usual and well its weird it brings people closer together and its just nice putting faces onto screen names.

so if any one in the chi-twizzle(chicago) wants to meet up im all for it.
carlos martinez

I live in St. Louis and I've never been to Chicago. Pretty much everyone I know here has been there. Sometime durring my totally busy summer (probably would be sacrificing any time that I'd actually be home for this) I wan't to take a road trip to Chicago and then to Memphis. ...Yea, sorry, this was kinda off topic. :rolleyes:

#16 Carlos_Martinez

Carlos_Martinez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:59 PM

way to go Julia :) but yeah when i go on my road trip im bringing my trusty lil GL2 its done so much for me and will make a mini documentary of it.

THIS IS OFF TOPIC

i plan to have enough little mini docs of my life so that when i die people can watch the entire thing it be like 3hrs max when finall editied but i think it be cool.

#17 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hi John,

I am going to IBC in September, hopefully Phil we be there, then we can go for that Beer with Jim.

Stephen

Where is this convention? If it's in Europe I may be able to do it... :)

#18 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

i plan to have enough little mini docs of my life so that when i die people can watch the entire thing it be like 3hrs max when finall editied but i think it be cool.

Wow, that's a really good idea. I've always wanted to write an autobiography book, but I don't understand how people write those and remember everything in and about their life. I'd just write every day and write about what happened that day (kinda like a diary) and just turn it into a book. But then I decided not to do it.
I think a movie is a much better idea. I'd definately go see it. It would be a great thing, too, to pass on to your children and stuff.

#19 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

Where is this convention? If it's in Europe I may be able to do it... :)

Matthew,

It's in Amsterdam, Easyjet fly there very cheap.

Stephen

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal