6 replies to this topic

#1 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Was wondering if anyone out there could share their opinion on this miller tripod, is it worth getting thanks - need a tripod for my ebm, any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...p;rd=1&rd=1

Edited by Damien Bhatti, 20 May 2007 - 03:08 PM.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

I've got a Miller Professional on an ancient set of wood sticks that is my main support for my small miniDV. It's so old that the label says "Patent Applied For" but it's smooth as glass and a nice, simple head to use. I wouldn't be afraid to use it under my Arri II if I needed a lighter setup than my O'Connor 50D. All-in-all an oldie but a goodie.

#3 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

I've got a Miller Professional on an ancient set of wood sticks that is my main support for my small miniDV. It's so old that the label says "Patent Applied For" but it's smooth as glass and a nice, simple head to use. I wouldn't be afraid to use it under my Arri II if I needed a lighter setup than my O'Connor 50D. All-in-all an oldie but a goodie.

Yes, those wooden ones are pieces of art in themselves. The modern ones seem really pricey though..

#4 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

Miller tripods are generally very good. When choosing an early 'LP' head like this (rated for cameras weighing thirty to forty pounds), it's important that it have a tilt lock brake (this one does). Heads lacking the brake often 'drift' even with the tilt drag locked down fully. It's also important to learn if the head has leaked or is leaking, since rebuilds aren't inexpensive. Some parts are still available through:

Miller Camera Support Equipment
diane.clementson@miller.com.au
www.millertripods.com
30 Hotham Pde. Artarmon 2064
NSW, Australia
Tel : +61 2 9439 6377
Fax : +61 2 9438 2819

The Aluminum legs shown are ITE. A Miller tripod of this vintage would've had wooden legs.

#5 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Heads lacking the brake often 'drift' even with the tilt drag locked down fully. It's also important to learn if the head has leaked or is leaking, since rebuilds aren't inexpensive.

Hi, how would you know whether the head had leaked or was leaking, is there a specific area where it happens more frequently? Or perhaps my question should be, if you were buying this particular tripod what questions would you ask the seller, thanks for your response(s)!

#6 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hi, how would you know whether the head had leaked or was leaking, is there a specific area where it happens more frequently? Or perhaps my question should be, if you were buying this particular tripod what questions would you ask the seller, thanks for your response(s)!

If the head is leaking or has leaked, there will be a sticky residue on surfaces near the moving parts (i.e., where the head swings and tilts). Although the tripod may continue to function in this condition, the action will be affected eventually, requiring replacement of seals and replenishment of fluid.

#7 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:25 AM

If the head is leaking or has leaked, there will be a sticky residue on surfaces near the moving parts (i.e., where the head swings and tilts). Although the tripod may continue to function in this condition, the action will be affected eventually, requiring replacement of seals and replenishment of fluid.

Thanks Glenn, will get on it..

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera