5 replies to this topic

#1 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:39 AM

Cyberlight 1200? It looks like an HMI globe in a rocket launcher or something... Is this some sort of complex mirror system to shape light? Is it efficient at all? Why is it so cheap? Why no ballast?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

Its a dance party style lamp

take pill - switch lights off - switch cyberlight on - light comes out and is reflected by stepper motor/mirror all around yer room - weeee!

They often have gel scrollers in them as well so you can go from purple rain to little red corvette at the tug of a dmx fader...

Cheap ? '1200' may give you an idea of its power output ...

Edited by Nick Mulder, 21 May 2007 - 07:27 AM.

#3 edward read

edward read
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Its a dance party style lamp

take pill - switch lights off - switch cyberlight on - light comes out and is reflected by stepper motor/mirror all around yer room - weeee!

They often have gel scrollers in them as well so you can go from purple rain to little red corvette at the tug of a dmx fader...

Cheap ? '1200' may give you an idea of its power output ...

Actually its really called a cyberlight. It is an automated luminaire - it uses a 1200 hmi source and a moving mirror to project a hard light beam. This type of unit is sometimes called a scanner, as opposed to a moving yoke unit which most current automated lights are currently patterned. Rather than a scroller it uses internal color wheels to output different colors. It has both fixed color wheels and 3 color color mixing filters allowing for soft transitions between colors. It also has a number (2?) of gobo wheels allowing for for different projections. The ballast is located in the body of the unit which is why it weighs in at @ 90 pounds.

The unit is controlled be DMX 512, the standard theatrical control protocol established in 90 or 91. I believe it takes 20 channels to control. This is a standard concert lighting unit and is used in many live shows as well as multicamera tv. This type of unit is usually controlled by an "autofocus lighing board" like the Whole Hog or Grand Ma.

#4 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

Madness. Well, I'm glad it's some semi-esoteric instrument and not a common type of light (for narrative filmmaking, at least) I have yet to learn about since I already worry about my dearth of technical knowledge.

It seems like a steal at $900, though. 1200w HMI, ballast, all sorts of mirrors and cookies and color filters inside...

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

Madness. Well, I'm glad it's some semi-esoteric instrument and not a common type of light (for narrative filmmaking, at least) I have yet to learn about since I already worry about my dearth of technical knowledge.

It seems like a steal at $900, though. 1200w HMI, ballast, all sorts of mirrors and cookies and color filters inside...

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

I don't know much about this DMX512 system but I think the catch is that it needs a crazy expensive control system before it does anything, no matter how cheap the fixture itself seems.

#6 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

It depends which version of a Cyberlight for sale, but that is a very good price for the unit. They used to be around $10k or if I remember correctly.

They are good lights, I like all of HES stuff. The seller looks like T2k (judging from the pics), go to www.lightbroker.com to see what else they have, they deal with tons of moving lights.

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera