#1 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

I am looking at an Eclair NPR with a motor that is allegedly one of Clive's. I haven't been able to find any info on a TXM-6. This is the info he provided

Model- TXM-6
Input- 12/16v
Freq- 4915200
Serial- 623
Output- 24/30 Fps
Hz- Crystal

I figured you would know best and if you could just let me know about it if you don't mind i would really appreciate it. Thanks alot.
-Scott Bryant

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

You should PM Clive. He posts here now and again.

#3 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I tried but his inbox is full.

#4 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

I tried but his inbox is full.

Sorry, I didn't know my inbox needs to be manually emptied. I'll probably need to be reminded again someday owing to my advancing senility.

This is probably a crystal conversion of an old Eclair "CIBLO" governor motor. If you want to run 30 FPS you will probably need a 16 volt battery. 24 FPS should be fine on 12 volts. It does not stop in the viewing position, unlike the later TXM-14 models which did have shutter parking.

We used to recommend using our crystal Speed Checker since the NPR (like the Arri 16S and 16M) has a smooth rubber drive coupling that can slip without warning and cause out of sync or flickering footage. (This item is no longer made.) In case of slippage, the motor will be running the right speed but the camera will not, so the Sync Alarm light will not show.

The TXM-6 was one of my all-purpose circuit boards that could be strapped to work with various camera models including Arri 16BL. It was likely a current model around 25 years ago. Anything else you need to know about it? As a simple model with only obvious (to me at least) user controls I don't think I ever wrote an instruction manual for it. Manuals that I have been able to find are posted on the website.

#5 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. I must say it is an honor to have you personally answer my message. Do you think there are many crystal speed checkers floating around the internet or are they for the most part gone? Is it a big enough problem to worry about? or is it fairly rare for them to slip? Also can you inch the NPR shutter into viewing position if it doesn't stop there? Enough questions? haha Thanks again.

#6 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. ...

The NPR has a manual inching knob, since all the original motors stopped at random also. I forget where exactly.

The rubber coupling gets old, hard and slick and wants to slip especially if it is oily.

You can use an NTSC TV set (with a picture tube, not LCD or plasma type) as a poor man's strobe or checker. Run the camera at 30 FPS with dummy film threaded. Make sure the Sync Alarm light is dark to verify that the voltage is adequate. Point it at the TV showing a picture from broadcast (not your own video tape). The shutter bar should move from bottom to top slowly, in either 8 or 16 seconds (I forget which.) If it holds steady or even moves down, the camera is running slow probably from slippage. If it moves in hops, that is worse.

We could make more Speed Checkers if we ever get caught up with orders for our TVT video transfer machines, and if there is a demonstrated demand for them.

#7 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:59 PM

Interesting method. Thanks alot again.

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products