• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adam berk

adam berk
  • Sustaining Members
  • 168 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Has anyone used Bono lately for an HD xfer? I've seen the tests over at CML, but really hate to base a decision just on one person's single experience.

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

I haven't, but there have been alot of posts about Bono in the past. Try a search. I think there was something on cinematography.net as well.

Best

Tim

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

I've used them. They basically do a one-light on those HD transfers and expect you to do the color correction which is easier since you get an uncompressed file. These are HUGE files so you need a maxed out machine if you expect to edit with them. I transcoded it down to DVCPRO HD to actually do the cutting.

If you really need the full 1920x1080 24P and aren't concerned about color they will be fine. I'd suggest having a company like Flying Spot Film Transfer in Seattle do it; even though their output is 1440x1080 from their Shadow, it will look 10x better due to their colorists. And the costs should be around the same, maybe a little more.

#4 Riku Naskali

Riku Naskali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

How about sharpness? The tests I saw in CML looked like they were shot in the seventies, the lack of sharpness was really noticeable.

#5 adam berk

adam berk
  • Sustaining Members
  • 168 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

How about sharpness? The tests I saw in CML looked like they were shot in the seventies, the lack of sharpness was really noticeable.

This is what I was mostly concerned with when I asked this question. Uncompressed HD color correction is my day job, so a one-light, low-con scan is exactly what I look for in an HD xfer. What worries me is what I saw at CML. I've since sent a question or two to Bono, and both times was responded to with offensive attitude. I think I'll take my business elsewhere.

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineLab

The Slider

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC