Mike DeChant

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hello,

I'm planning on shooting some 7266 (Tri-X Reversal) in daylight conditions with a borrowed Yashica Electro 8 (LD-6) camera tomorrow. I purchased the stock thinking it would be versatile in multiple lighting conditions - but I'm now seeing that the box issues a warning: "This high-speed film is intended for use under conditions of low-level illumination such as for night sports photography. It is not suitable for bright sunlight unless the camera can provide proper exposure (electric or manual)."

Now this camera has an exposure setting - it looks like I can under or over expose up to two stops each. Anyone have any experience with this stock and this particular camera in bright daylight situations? I may be faced with a mix of bright sun and shadow. What's my margin for error?
Any recommendations about how to expose without fear of blowing everything out??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

To be on the safe side, you could screw an ND filter on to the lens of your borrowed Yashica Electro 8 (LD-6). I hope that particular camera can read Tri-X cartridges correctly. Not all super 8 cameras can.

#3 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

TriX is a 200D/160T, it's notched for 250ASA with no notch so most cameras will read it as 160ASA. I normally shoot it outdoors with a 45 degree shutter that cuts 2 stops and have had great results. I don't know the shutter options on the Yashica, but an ND .6 or .9 would be essential.

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:38 AM

A quick Google suggests that this model has manual override so you'll be fine with a separate meter, or a grey-card reading with the appropriate correction.
The point is that at 18fps the shutter speed is around 1/30 second, so you can't get a small enough aperture to expose correctly in sunlight. You'd need about f/45. So you need a few stops of ND on the lens, then you can open up the appropriate amount.

#5 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:42 AM

I'm planning on shooting some 7266 (Tri-X Reversal) in daylight conditions with a borrowed Yashica Electro 8 (LD-6) camera tomorrow. I purchased the stock thinking it would be versatile in multiple lighting conditions - but I'm now seeing that the box issues a warning: "This high-speed film is intended for use under conditions of low-level illumination such as for night sports photography. It is not suitable for bright sunlight unless the camera can provide proper exposure (electric or manual)."

I use it all the time in daylight, even on sunny sommerdays, but with dark red filter, this eats enough light to shoot around 8 and 11 in direct sun, and gives punchy contrast and dark dramatic sky.... I love it...

CineLab

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies