#1 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

When you are shooting 200 ASA Tungsten balanced film outdoors and you use an 85B filter this effectively changes your ASA to 125. When I meter this scene, should i meter at 125 ASA with the filter in front of the white dome? or should I meter at 125 w/out the filter? Or are either of those correct? I know this is very basic but i can't seem to think about it the right way.

#2 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

When you are shooting 200 ASA Tungsten balanced film outdoors and you use an 85B filter this effectively changes your ASA to 125. When I meter this scene, should i meter at 125 ASA with the filter in front of the white dome? or should I meter at 125 w/out the filter? Or are either of those correct? I know this is very basic but i can't seem to think about it the right way.

Metering at 125 ASA already compensates for the light loss, which is apparently 3/4 of a stop. So metering through the filter would double this, giving you a 1 1/2 stop loss, causing you to underexpose by 3/4 of a stop.

But in any case, you wouldn't meter through the filter, you would figure out what amount of light is lost through the filter and adjust your ASA accordingly. Remember every time the ASA doubles, it's twice as sensitive, or one stop faster.

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

- also, it would already be acounted for in the 125asa figure, but unfiltered, wouldn't the stock be effectively faster in daylight as opposed to tungsten? If so, what should it be rated, unfiltered?

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

- also, it would already be acounted for in the 125asa figure, but unfiltered, wouldn't the stock be effectively faster in daylight as opposed to tungsten? If so, what should it be rated, unfiltered?

Unfiltered, you would rate it as normal, but it would turn out very blue. Only B&W films have different speeds for different lighting spectra, because they are slightly more sensitive to blue light then they are red.

#5 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

David - in the interest of accuracy it's 2/3 of a stop - think thirds, ..... 200, 160, 125 ......

-Sam

#6 Scott Bryant

Scott Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Other
  • Nevada

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

#7 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

David - in the interest of accuracy it's 2/3 of a stop - think thirds, ..... 200, 160, 125 ......

-Sam

gotchya...125 seemed to fall on a fourth-mark on the one-stop difference between 100 and 200, sorry for the misinformation

#8 mageshkumar

mageshkumar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

Just turn your meter to 125ASA and take the reading. Its enough. The filter factor u can compensate in the meter itself. what ever the filter u may use, calculate and change the ASA in the meter and take the exposure reading.

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

"mageshkumar", if your real name is Magesh Kumar, please go to My Controls and edit your Display Name to reflect this -- your Display Name has to be a first and last name, as per the forum rules, and it's unclear right now. Thanks.

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineTape