5 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:24 PM

I received a distribution offer for my super 8 feature Sleep Always from a German company some time back. On good faith (my mistake) I sent the guy a set of master tapes assuming he would honour his word and sign the contract and pay the license fee. He did not do any of this, AND he has not return my master tapes.

I have been meaning to find the time to go after him and he finally tipped it when he listed himself on the IMDB as a distributor and as a voice actor (for the German version he was creating).

I have asked the imdb to delete his credits and sent him notice.

I am posting here to ask members to keep an eye out for a German-language version of Sleep Always. If you see it buy one. I will reimburse your costs. I am interested in the proof that he is engaged in illegal distribution activities so please keep your receipts and any other paper-work from the sale (address where it was purchased, name of seller, etc).

Thanks
Rick

#2 Terry Mester

Terry Mester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Other
  • Welland, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Rick, have you contacted German Police? Look for their Website on google, and file a formal complaint. This constitutes both theft and fraud.

#3 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the note Terry. I am pursuing a variety of actions.
Rick

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:10 AM

I'm curious about what happened after you sent the tapes until you saw their IMDB credit.

#5 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

I'm curious about what happened after you sent the tapes until you saw their IMDB credit.

He stalled for a few months, saying he couldn't find a facility to dub the tape, and then he stopped answering me. I let it slide for a while, staying on the alert for illegal actions, and his IMDB listing finally triggered me into action.

I still don't have any evidence that he's actually made any sales, which is why I posted the alert here, so everyone please your eyes open. I found a website advertising Sleep Always posters for sale and contacted the poster service and they said none have been sold to date. I am asking them to have the poster delisted.

Rick

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

It seems a shame that someone out there has gone to the trouble to do work in another language for your film but seems to not want to be above board with you. If they actually put work into converting the dialogue to another language that is something that should be a positive, yet they have instead pissed you off. What a shame the effort they put out wasn't being put to a positive result since when it's all said and done, it appears they made an effort to convert the film to another language.

It seems like they made little effort to make you happy even though they went ahead and did the audio translation work anyways. What were they thinking?

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam