#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:57 PM

Where can i find the best price on the net or in Los Angeles for the brand new Sekonic 758 Cine.

I've looked on film tools and they are listing it as around 670 dollars.

Anyone know a good little store or anywhere i can get student discount.

Cheers guys,

Jamie McIntyre

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:08 AM

doubtful you will find a student discount on an item like that. You'll buy one light meter and stay with it for 5 years or more, so where is the incentive? Also its doubtful you will find any better deals on an item like that since they are sold in such low numbers, and certainly aren't loss leaders. I would imagine there is a set price to wholesalers and they take on a standard margin and resell. You may find variations of 5 or 10 bucks, but nothing significant. I used to do the whole song and dance of finding the best prices, still try on certain items, but for the most part, specialized film tools stay the same price. If your looking for a deal, look for a used one.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:45 AM

Here's Sekonic's list of dealers in all of CA

http://www.sekonic.c...n...&ID=#topmap

Doesn't hurt to shop around a bit and see...the 558 is a nice one as well though, and you can probably get one second hand from a buyer of the new 758 :)

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

Just bought the 758Cine myself a few days back from a Hong Kong seller on ebay ...

In my hot little hands today here in New Zealand at a smidge over $500 and that included the fedex cost ...

...just search for them on Ebay and look for the ones priced $468

Now I'm confortable I understand how metering and the manual calculations work I'm looking forward to concentrate on lighting design rather than shutter angle/filter factor math fudge - and spot and flash metering >>wowsa ! a luxury !

not too sure about this USB jazz though - might be helpful for Zone system and DSLR stuff... I'll read that part of the manual last (not that I'll read it for the time being, its been pretty painless to figure out)

#5 Eric Dinger

Eric Dinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

Sekonic does offer a student discount on some of their light meters, including the 758cine, it goes for $549 according to their pricing list. To get it though you have to register on MAC-On-Campus.com, then print out a form, fill it out, get it signed by your teacher, take it to a retailer that participates have them order it special and wait for it to come. At least thats what I had to do.

#6 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Sekonic does offer a student discount on some of their light meters, including the 758cine, it goes for $549 according to their pricing list. To get it though you have to register on MAC-On-Campus.com, then print out a form, fill it out, get it signed by your teacher, take it to a retailer that participates have them order it special and wait for it to come. At least thats what I had to do.

Great! Thank you very much.

I'm going to buy it tonight.

Cheers,

Jamie Mc

Visual Products

Glidecam

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Technodolly