#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

OK, no one's asked about it so I will. I love this trilogy so far, mainly cause Johnny is a freakin' genius, so has anyone seen this one yet. I know it JUST opened but what are the early opinions? B)

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

I'm concerned that you would refer to Depp as a "freakin' genius".

You mean in general? Or in these movies?

He was a genius in Edward Scissor Hands, Pirates is a silly fluff movie. Of course I'm not opposed in any way to cinema being for entertainment's sake.

R,

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

I just saw it. There are some dark elements to this story that I admire, the willingness to have some tragic moments in a mainstream movie, and of course there is some comedy, and Darius Wolski's cinematography has been great on all three movies, and the efx are first-rate...

But this movie is so dense with plot elements, story reversals, and things that still don't make sense when you think about it -- all capped by a huge action set piece that is almost too spectacular and just goes on and on and on, to the point where your eyeballs glaze over and you start looking at your watch. And the sword fighting is not particularly well-choreographed for the most part. Too much mayhem. Maybe I've become too old for this sort of stuff, which is ironic since I have a ticket to go to the Star Wars Celebration at the LA Convention Center tomorrow... and i just bought a sci-fi novel set on Mars...

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

I haven't seen it yet....but when you talk about the big action that goes on and on, I think of the battle between King Kong and the dinosaurs in PJs remake.

I mean the VFX are amazing, yes. But good grief, Kong fights those things for half the movie, on and on and on. Just when you think it's over the dinosaurs come back and fight some more.

I wonder what the philosophy is behind this? We can...therefore, we should?

R,

#5 Josh Brokenbourgh

Josh Brokenbourgh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

I just saw it. There are some dark elements to this story that I admire, the willingness to have some tragic moments in a mainstream movie, and of course there is some comedy, and Darius Wolski's cinematography has been great on all three movies, and the efx are first-rate...

But this movie is so dense with plot elements, story reversals, and things that still don't make sense when you think about it -- all capped by a huge action set piece that is almost too spectacular and just goes on and on and on, to the point where your eyeballs glaze over and you start looking at your watch. And the sword fighting is not particularly well-choreographed for the most part. Too much mayhem. Maybe I've become too old for this sort of stuff, which is ironic since I have a ticket to go to the Star Wars Celebration at the LA Convention Center tomorrow... and i just bought a sci-fi novel set on Mars...

Was that Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy by chance?

#6 Alex Mizin

Alex Mizin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:53 PM

I agree with David on this one. I enjoyed the movie but the plots were a bit overly dense. So much going back and forth and back and forth. One has to wonder how much of a flop it would be without Depp and Rush in there. Keira Nightley and Orlando Bloom just don't impress me in this one.

I quite liked the cinematography, though not enough to properly comment on it. Oh, and Keith Richards makes a good pirate i rekon :D

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

Was that Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy by chance?

No, I read those several years ago, perhaps my favorite trilogy of all time. I pick up and read almost any science fiction book with Mars in the title. This new one is called "Moving Mars" by Greg Bear. I was looking for something to read on an airplane trip I have coming up.

#8 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:18 AM

"Oh, and Keith Richards makes a good pirate i rekon."

Ha. I was wondering what his acting was like in this movie. And he has the right 'look' too.

#9 Josh Brokenbourgh

Josh Brokenbourgh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

No, I read those several years ago, perhaps my favorite trilogy of all time. I pick up and read almost any science fiction book with Mars in the title. This new one is called "Moving Mars" by Greg Bear. I was looking for something to read on an airplane trip I have coming up.

K.S.R. is pretty sweet. I read 'Escape From Kathmandu' years ago and ever since then I've picked up his work here and there.

Pirates:

I like the series. I mean, I was born in L.A. and my grandfather did a lot of trade work for Disney, so naturally we we're always invited to check out Disney Land sometimes for free. Of course the Pirates ride is like the staple thats worth (for me) putting up with long lines and screaming babies.

I do understand what you mean David by:

" ...to the point where your eyeballs glaze over and you start looking at your watch."

It is like Disney Land and, it's really too much at moments. Everything is pictorial, edgy and just crazy.

#10 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

I haven't seen it yet....but when you talk about the big action that goes on and on, I think of the battle between King Kong and the dinosaurs in PJs remake.

I mean the VFX are amazing, yes. But good grief, Kong fights those things for half the movie, on and on and on. Just when you think it's over the dinosaurs come back and fight some more.

And all the jumping and swinging. I don't think real gorillas do anywhere as much.
It just wore me out.

I fear your conclusion is correct.

#11 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:53 PM

Just saw it, I am not a fan of action movies, especially not series... But having seen the other Pirates, I have to say I think this one is the best. I particularly enjoyed the cinematography, very dark for a movie that targets a very young audience...

It's not a story movie, it's just an eyecandy, and what a stunning one!

#12 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

Absolute tosh.

Lost me in the first 10 minutes.

And ermm....what were some of the lenses they used on those REALLY tight shots!?

#13 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:42 AM

I'm concerned that you would refer to Depp as a "freakin' genius".

You mean in general? Or in these movies?

He was a genius in Edward Scissor Hands, Pirates is a silly fluff movie. Of course I'm not opposed in any way to cinema being for entertainment's sake.

R,

I mean JD is a GENIUS in everything I've ever seen him in form Crybaby to Before Night Falls to Blow to Donnie Brassco to Finding Neverland to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to Dead Man to Ed Wood to Pirates and INCLUDING Edward Sissorhands. In fact the ONLY movie I've seen him in that I didn't feel he was the best thing in the movie was Nightmare On Elm Street, in that one he was the third best thing after Freddy and the chick in the opening (I just thought she was hot). Richie, COME ON ol' buddie, Captain Jack Sparrow is sheer acting poetry! If it weren't for Depp's preformance in that film, it would have been NOTHING more than BORING kiddie fare, Johnny Depp MADE that movie. He took a charature that, if you look at it, was DISPICABLE and pushed it into a cinematic icon, by combining effeminate elements with machismo and swagger with stagger, in lesser hands this charature could have been completely un-likable or even even worse dispised by an audiance, but in Depp's, Sparrow comes alive and becomes a charature we DEEPLY care about, what exactly is not to be considered "genius" about that? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 27 May 2007 - 03:45 AM.

#14 Francesco Bonomo

Francesco Bonomo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • currently in Rome, Italy

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

I just saw it. There are some dark elements to this story that I admire, the willingness to have some tragic moments in a mainstream movie, and of course there is some comedy, and Darius Wolski's cinematography has been great on all three movies, and the efx are first-rate...[...]Too much mayhem.

The funny thing, at least for me, is that I do agree with you, David. But the bottom line for me is that I loved it. I don't know why, maybe Depp's Jack Sparrow is the main reason, but I did! :lol:

#15 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

Wolski is as always supreme, but as mentioned, the story is just unecessary complicated and non-sensical for a popcorn movie. I had the guy to the right of me and the left of me checking their watches throughout - they couldn't wait to get out of there. Which isn't a good sign.

And although the effects can't be faulted technically, they're so spectacularly unreal in their setting that they take you out of it completely. Most scenes look like a Playstation game.

Boring outing - I hope they retire this series now.

#16 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

With all the various plots and character motives, it was hard to care about any one of them. It wasn't until about the last half hour where the film really started getting interesting and focused on the Will Turner/Elizabeth love story.

The rest of the film was mostly exposition & "pirate politics" with brief moments of fantastic events and unbelievable stunts.

If only good cinematography & EFX alone could make for a masterpiece :/

#17 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

A bit off topic, but one of the extras that was hung in the first 5 min. of the movie will be on the new pirate reality show on thursday. The june AC has a write up on Pirates also.

#18 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

Just saw it. (This Orange wednesday thing is great)

I wasn't too impressed in all honesty... I thought they really milked it, and the only reason it has done so well is because of the hype from the first one. (that and Keira Knightley's 'leg' scene)

Technically, fantastic. But just too long and too focused on sfx we've seen so many times before.

Movies built on CGI don't go down so well for me. The CGI doesn't look real enough.

Spider Man 3 has my vote over this.

Worth seeing, but once is enough.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 30 May 2007 - 06:42 PM.

#19 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

i've heard that self castration is more pleasurable that watching this, having seen number two (which is kind of apt when you think about it), i am somewhat inclined to grab a stanley knife- is this opinion wrong?

#20 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

R,

It is very expensive to create these digital sequences like King Kong or the elements in Pirates. Most of these high end shows create their own programs to achieve what they want. This is a really expensive process. Once they have developed the software it is relatively inexpensive to do ten minutes of T-Rex rather then four minutes. In Pirates these create a million digital crabs then they just recycle them later.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc