New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Carlsbad, CA

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

Dear fellow Cinematographers,
My name is Jerry Chen, I found this Cinematography website via Google. I am a 15 year old sophomore at Carlsbad high school, in Carlsbad, California. My English class and I are working on a career unit right now, and I am researching the field of wildlife film production. what are some helpful tips into getting into the realm of Wildlife Cinematography.

i know that being in a film or journalism class greatly helps, as i am with Carlsbad high school's nationally renown broadcasting team, CHSTV Worldwide. (here's our link: www.chstv.com) so i know that helps, but besides that, What are some other tips or steps that i can take to further my abilities in getting a job in the wildlife film business?
-Jerry Chen
Carlsbad High School

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

Gidday Jerry,

I'm not a natural history cinematographer myself but had the pleasure of meeting another cinematography.com user Phil Savoie (http://www.philsavoie.com/page1.html) when I bought an underwater housing off him last year.

Great chap to talk to - I think he's teaching at Montana State a the moment - otherwise I'm pretty sure he's still based in Wales...

I'm sure if he's not too busy he'd be happy to answer a question or 5 ;)

#3 Phil Savoie

Phil Savoie
  • Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montana / Wales

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Hi Jerry,

Most successful nature camera people are very good field biologists. They not only know the craft and skills of cinematography but can find animal subjects and film behaviour as well. For me it all started out being a good old frog hunter! I would recommend the following; getting your biology, ecology and animal behaviour background up to speed in the classroom. And work on putting this into practical practice in the field, perhaps with a still camera to start. Get to know the flushing distance of different types of animals and try to shoot them. The best way to learn is by doing mate!

The challenge, both photographically and practically, of filming nature is infectious. The career will allow you to visit locations and see things few ever do. I've always thought of it as a great privilege - and when you?re outside you've got the best office in the world. Click on the link to my website if you want to see examples of my work.

I hope that's helpful. Feel free to contact me off list if you want more information.

Good luck and all my best

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

CineLab

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal