Oren Harel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:19 AM

Hi,

So I'm new on this forum so be gentle.....

I'm working with a new website called www.oe.tv (OE - Oversea Experience). It a site people can upload all there movies and picture and the home page is a Travel TV channel. I'm filming and editing lot of the stuff that going on the home page and the budget for this productions is ...let say..... not big.... ;) So most of the time it's me filming and doing the sound and directing.

It really impotent to say we bast in New Zealand. Now I'm using the the Sony FX1 and V1U and most of the days here in New Zealand we have overcast (the land of the long white cloud) and it's really hard to get good light on people faces with out burning the background. I tried few UV filter but they seems to work better in direct sun and not in overcast.
somebody know a good filter for overcast?

Sorry for the long story but i tried to make it funny a bit ....... you know make a good impression

Cheers
Oren

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

UV filters just cut haze from UV light, like when shooting landscape shots with a lot of aerial haze. They won't help you much in overcast weather.

You need to not put people's faces against the overcast sky as a background -- use a background that is darker, like some trees. Or add more light to people's faces if you are going to put the sky in the background.

If the sky is above the frame and heads, you can use an ND grad to darken it.

If the blacks are a little washed out, either you can lower the Master Black level in the video camera to compensate, or save that for post color-correction.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport