Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

Ok forum buddies,

I have a new trailer for my feature Dark Reprieve:

http://homepage.mac....Theater110.html

I think it's much better than the first one some of you saw. This is still cut from my FCP time line and mixed in FCP.

You wanted more female bling ya got it! You wanted more scary stuff, ya got it!!

Any whoo, give this a try and let me know your thoughts if you're so inclined.

Crank those speakers.

R,

#2 Craig Knowles

Craig Knowles
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Director
  • Cleveland

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

Tried to view. The page asks me to install some kind of ActiveX control and when I click yes, it crashes my browser. Anyone else having this problem?

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Richard, I'm very impressed. :)

Looks like something that will suck succeed. ;)

How are you planning to realease this film? Because I expect a signed DVD. <_<

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

Some really nice shots there. This trailer feels far more threatening and tense than the first.

Feel a little unsure of the wolf with the green eyes, it makes it look more frightening than before, and pretty much works, but I wonder if its a little overdone - could you not make the eyes, colour and opacity a little more subtle?

Edited by Andy_Alderslade, 27 May 2007 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:22 PM

Some really nice shots there. This trailer feels far more threatening and tense than the first.

Feel a little unsure of the wolf with the green eyes, it makes it look more frightening than before, and pretty much works, but I wonder if its a little overdone - could you not make the eyes, colour and opacity a little more subtle?

Well as you probably noticed the wolf is now part CGI. He just wasn't scary enough before. I have found when dealing with this genre that "overdone" in most cases = done right.

I mean look at that dress the model is wearing, who goes out dressed like that! It is explained in the movie that she was going out clubing and was picked up by the police enroute. Hence the dress. But I obviously made up an excuse to dress her like that, for obvious reasons :D

Also once some one sees the final scene then it makes even more sense with regard to the lighting on her and the policeman, and her manner of dress.

Yes, Matthew you for sure will get a signed copy.

R,

#6 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

Well as you probably noticed the wolf is now part CGI. He just wasn't scary enough before. I have found when dealing with this genre that "overdone" in most cases = done right.

You're probably right, and i'm sure in the context of the film 'overdone' will seem more in tune with the plot and atmospheric arc.

Watching and judging things out of context is difficult.

#7 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:40 PM

Yes, Matthew you for sure will get a signed copy.

R,

Thanks.

I loved the lighting. It was wonderfully atmospheric, perhaps a bit too atmospheric at times, but still great fun to watch.

It has a very high budget look, which I loved. I think the 35mm really helped. :)

How do you plan on distributing thi film? Will it have a cinema premiere? Or straight to DVD?

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

Desperately needs a grade. The problem with 35 to Quicktime is that it's so oversampled you do end up with a practically zero-artifact image - which is technically great, but it's just got no texture, no life. Wants more inky blacks and the standard "horror is blue-green" grade. Even a bit of leaching shadows (the anti-promist) or something.

Also: the damnable thing's encoded from a 3:2 pulldown source! Way to give the codec a really hard time and encode a lot of redundant info. Get back to the true 24p first, and encode that.

Phil

#9 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

I worked with 3:2 pulldown in FCP. I just didn't make any edits on pull down frames, then the EDL gets converted back to 24. Works great.

But I could strip the 3:2 pulldown off of just the trailer, yes. I just don't have the tools to make a web trailer the way the studios do Phil :) This is more about content and teasing the audience.

As for sales and marketing Matthew....you will be going door to door, "video for sale, video for sale!!" I pay good commissions, you can finance your way through film school.

R,

#10 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Ok, honest opinion from an audiences pov (no, this isn't me trying to teach you a lesson in film..)

Liked the lighting.

However, an editing issue, I didn't like the way the 'Dark Reprieve' logo was displayed for almost the same length of time as the previous fade ins/outs. Too short for my liking. I'm not sure how many people are going to remember that name from the first viewing.

The score sounded professional, but I don't think it 'fitted' into the trailer all that well. It sounds (and I'm guessing it was) a selected sample from the original mix, that would fit into the actual film. It's just the way it stops suddenly (and randomly), it would be nice if it almost reached a climax in volume when the trailer ends. I think that would make it a little more 'epic' and 'rich'.

If there's no chance of a new mix, then why not edit the track yourself, and have it cut on one of the drums, and have it reverberate, and/or echo out, instead of fading out.

And this is more something to do with perhaps how its meant to be, and something I 'personally' don't like (but may not necessarily be bad), but I still think it seems a bit 'cheesy' at times. To name one example, the actress in the beginning scene holding the cigarette.

Those are the only issues I've got with it. Maybe it's just my taste. Other people around here may not agree.

#11 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

"The score sounded professional, but I don't think it 'fitted' into the trailer all that well. It sounds (and I'm guessing it was) a selected sample from the original mix, that would fit into the actual film. It's just the way it stops suddenly (and randomly), it would be nice if it almost reached a climax in volume when the trailer ends. I think that would make it a little more 'epic' and 'rich'."

Yes, the track was put together ala promo editing style. The composer will score the trailer with a new track of its own.

R,

#12 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

As for sales and marketing Matthew....you will be going door to door, "video for sale, video for sale!!" I pay good commissions, you can finance your way through film school.

Funny. Very funny.

#13 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

It's a much better trailer, mainly because it sets up a mystery for the viewer.

The lighting is good, 35mm looks great as usual -- I sort of agree with Phil that it needs to be graded, some scenes are too light, etc. But I have this problem even with my own work when I see it in trailers on the internet, sometimes the blacks and the brightness levels aren't even what I delivered in post.

#14 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

Yes, grading is a must. Otherwise, impressive. Which stocks did you use?

#15 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

As I've looked at the web version on different monitors I notice quite a wide shift in how it looks. Many CRTs are too dark, and some LCDs are too bright.

Looks really nice on the HD monitors at Deluxe though :D

Stocks are Fuji 250T and 500T. With a bit of the old Kodak 320 ASA tossed in.

Any whoo, I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from distributors via the trailer. So far not one buyer who has seen the trailer has told me to NOT send the final. A programmer at Sundance saw the on-line trailer and was very complimentary and invited me to submit the final. I still have until Sept 28th for that. It's a hail mary pass there though, the competition is just too great.

The off-line with it's temp track is 90% there now. It's making the rounds in LA with some test audiences and a few industry veterans are viewing it in private. So far the feedback is pretty good. There is one consistant criticism though that I need to address, luckily it's primarily an editing issue. But I have time and the luxury to keep tweeking it.

Work, work, work, that's all it is. I thought this industry was supposed to be glamorous?

R,

#16 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

Work, work, work, that's all it is. I thought this industry was supposed to be glamorous?

R,

Richard,

It is when you get the cheque!

Stephen

#17 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

Yeah that's right, who knows when that day will come?

R,

#18 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

I think it will be a serious moneymaker, Richard.

#19 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

I think it will be a serious moneymaker, Richard.

Naturally I hope your prediction comes true. But this is the movie business :(

R,

#20 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

The trailer looks more like a DP trailer then something to get me into the theaters. Pretty images but not much plot, terror, or action. Also reusing the same image makes for a dull trailer. Repetitive use of the woman testifying, cell walls, and medical instruments makes it look like there isn't too much more to your film. The visuals of the werewolf and demon characters are too clearly defined making them look fake. I'd distress these images and make them less identifiable. Just imply their presence in the film even if that isn't the case in the real film. Also the performances you chose were primarily exposition of the plot. I'd try to find moments of more intense emotion. It needs a faster pace.

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Opal

Tai Audio

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc