7 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Driver

Tony Driver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have always wanted to learn how to repair and service cine cameras, but I don't know the best way to go about it. I'm not sure if there is a course or if you need some form of intern/apprenticeship.

Does anyone have some advice as to how I get started?

#2 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

Tony,

I don't know where your located, but Panavision has, or use to anyways, an intern program at their facilitie in L.A. Don't know about their other locations. This might be a way to learn some basics but if you want to make a career out of it , that will take many years to become profecient in the ways of fine mechanics and optics.

Chuck

Edited by chuck colburn, 28 May 2007 - 01:03 PM.

#3 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:07 PM

I used to do I.T. work and Network Security Analysis (paid cracking). Then I went to film school. Abel wanted to hire me to work with HD cameras because of my IT and film school background, but I spent the whole interview waxing poetic about old film cameras. They trained me in-house. Brought in people from the factory etc...

If you're in NYC I am sure I can forward your information along to my employers. At the moment I am the ONLY film guy at Abel. A bit depressing, but I'll manage.

Ultimately you'll have to intern in a rental facility, scrubbing cases and cleaning stuff. I believe Bernie O has some sort of workshop on basic camera maintenance, but I haven't heard anything about it.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

....Ultimately you'll have to intern in a rental facility, scrubbing cases and cleaning stuff.....

Don't sound too enthusiastic when you describe it or everyone will want to work intern there. :unsure:

#5 Tony Driver

Tony Driver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

I used to do I.T. work and Network Security Analysis (paid cracking). Then I went to film school. Abel wanted to hire me to work with HD cameras because of my IT and film school background, but I spent the whole interview waxing poetic about old film cameras. They trained me in-house. Brought in people from the factory etc...

If you're in NYC I am sure I can forward your information along to my employers. At the moment I am the ONLY film guy at Abel. A bit depressing, but I'll manage.

Ultimately you'll have to intern in a rental facility, scrubbing cases and cleaning stuff. I believe Bernie O has some sort of workshop on basic camera maintenance, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Wish I was in NYC - I'd gladly take you up on your offer.

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

I have a hunch that taking machinist courses at a vo-tech might be a good place to start, there is so much custom work done with film cameras that if you REALLY want to become a camera tech/engineer also being a good, hands-on machinist might convince someone to hire you on.

#7 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:05 PM

Got that right Hal.

#8 Tony Driver

Tony Driver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for your sound advice guys, I'll bear it all in mind.

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc