#1 bragis chut

bragis chut
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

Hi:

I'm sure this had been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it. Anybody know approximately how long the new Vision 2 stocks (particularly the faster speed stocks like 7218) will last if they're stored properly? I know the faster the stock, the quicker it usually degrades, but beyond that... specifically... how long will 7218 last if it's stored in a cool, dry place?

I've had some stuff myself that tested fine after a year and a half so I know it's good at least that long.

Thanks,

--Gallantyne

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi:

I'm sure this had been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it. Anybody know approximately how long the new Vision 2 stocks (particularly the faster speed stocks like 7218) will last if they're stored properly? I know the faster the stock, the quicker it usually degrades, but beyond that... specifically... how long will 7218 last if it's stored in a cool, dry place?

I've had some stuff myself that tested fine after a year and a half so I know it's good at least that long.

Thanks,

--Gallantyne

Hi,

I had slightly raised fog level after 18 months, nothing to worry about for telecine. Rating older 7218 @ 250 asa is probably the way to go.

Stephen

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

Temperature has probably the greatest effect on how fast raw stock deteriorates with age. The cooler, the better. In most cases, refrigeration (less than 10 degrees Celsius) is more than adequate to give years of shelf life, so freezing is usually not necessary. Freezing and thawing has its own set of risks, such as the formation of ice crystals inside the roll, so I usually recommend only refrigeration.

Ambient radiation (e.g., gamma rays, cosmic rays) causes fogging, regardless of storage temperature. Things like local sources of radiation, elevation, and latitude can effect the level of radiation, so don't store your film on a mountaintop or near a uranium mine or radiactive waste dump. ;)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Opal

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineTape

FJS International, LLC