#1 Carlos Carmona

Carlos Carmona

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

I am use to shooting segments in which the lighting is constant, but now I am taking on my first full-length feature. I am using the 100b and my question is about my shutter and iris. If I want all the shots to match up should I leave my shutter the same through out, and just change my iris when I have to? Or do I have it all wrong?.....Help me

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

You have to keep everything similar between shots if you want to minimize visual difference between them. That means the filters, f-stop, shutter, key light level, fill light level, focal length and distance (between reverse angles), and so forth. That said, things don't always have to be exact and you often "fudge" settings for practical reasons. But knowing how to maintain -- and how far you can cheat -- continuity is a big part of the cinematographer's art.

Sometimes you have to deliberately change some of your settings to compensate for other variables that have changed between setups. For example, you're likely to change your white balance, ND filter, and iris when shooting a day exterior scene over the course of a day, to keep up with the changes in the light.

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Opal