Re-creating Balin's Tomb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Donnelly

Nathan Donnelly
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Hey guys, I've a project in the works with a shot that needs to look like the Balin's Tomb scene from The Fellowship Of The Ring. The spotlight, in particular. Since this is the Lighting forum and all, I figured you folk may know the solution. The room in my project won't be nearly as big (about 20x20 with 9' ceilings), so we can probably scale lamp size down a wee bit. The light in question will be coming through a hole at the top of one of the walls, not a glass window, so diffusion/reflection isn't an issue. I just need a hard light, and Google ain't giving me no answers.

Here's a pic for reference:
Posted Image

(and fyi, I'm shooting on DV, at night)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

Well, you can use a 1K or 2K Xenon for a straight beam (or a beam projector), or you can use a spotty lens in an HMI PAR for a beam that spreads somewhat. Question is what you can afford and how you will power it and how you will get it up there...

#3 Nathan Donnelly

Nathan Donnelly
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

I've got a 1k Tungsten Fresnel that we were thinking may cut it. I'm drawing a blank, but would some kind of focusing apparatus work (along with some gels to get us up to moonlight temp)?

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

hmmm - well Xenon's are more efficient so a tungsten 1k wont give you as much toot as a xenon and then having to gel it for a whiter (ahem blue'er) beam will take away even more of yer precious light lemons ...

#5 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

Well, you can use a 1K or 2K Xenon for a straight beam (or a beam projector), or you can use a spotty lens in an HMI PAR for a beam that spreads somewhat.

Hi guys,
I may be wrong here, but wouldn't a PAR64 do the trick as well? Maybe get some haze or fog in the room to have a strong visible beam. And add some light blue gel to the PAR to have a moonlight effect. I guess a Xenon and the like is out of Nathans budget (at least I guess it would be out of mine and I just bought a couple of PAR cans). The problem here might be to get the rest of the room dark enough so that the beam shows up at all..

Cheers, Dave

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

A 1K fresnel isn't really going to create much of a bright, straight beam. If I were limited to 1K and couldn't afford a Xenon, I'd be looking at something like a Source-4 ellipsoidal (maybe even the HMI version with a 575w or 800w globe, otherwise the 650w tungsten version) -- maybe two or three Source-4's ganged together, with 19 or 26 degree lenses. Or a couple of PAR 64's bunched together with VNSP globes in them. Maybe the PARCAN variety to reduce spill.

It's not just that you need a beam, you need smoke on the set and the beam has to be overexposed, so it has to be bright.

#7 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Or a couple of PAR 64's bunched together with VNSP globes in them. Maybe the PARCAN variety to reduce spill.

Yep, that exactly what I had in mind when I wrote about using a PAR. If you can't get a long PAR you could always make a "snoot" of black wrap to reduce spill. A large diameter PVC pipe might work as well, but be aware of the heat...

Cheers, Dave

#8 Nathan Donnelly

Nathan Donnelly
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

Ack! Too many Davids! :lol: Yeah, you could say that Xenons are pretty much out of the picture. It'd demolish our budget. The location we're at is an old fort on the Oregon coast, and the room in question only has a small opening that was used as an artillery loading bay. Even at high-noon, it was near pitch black in there, so exposure (probably) won't be a problem. Auner, I like your idea of a "snoot" at the end of the lens. I even found one in my web travails yesterday but I'll be damned if I can remember where.

We've still got a few months til we shoot so testing how my fresnel behaves is quite do-able. If that don't work, it's on to the bigger and brighter.

#9 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

A Par 64 with a narrow beam globe will get pretty close to the effect and it is a very inexpensive unit. It's called a fire starter so keep an eye on what you point it at. Especially flags.

#10 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

We've still got a few months til we shoot so testing how my fresnel behaves is quite do-able. If that don't work, it's on to the bigger and brighter.

Nathan,
check out a PAR64. You can get these very cheap off ebay (at least around here). I bought 6 PAR64 cans for around 133 ?! Add a couple of VNSP, MFL WFL globes for around 20 ? each and you're in the game.

Cheers, Dave

#11 Nathan Donnelly

Nathan Donnelly
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

Nathan,
check out a PAR64. You can get these very cheap off ebay (at least around here). I bought 6 PAR64 cans for around 133 ?! Add a couple of VNSP, MFL WFL globes for around 20 ? each and you're in the game.

Cheers, Dave

Will do, Dave. Thanks everyone for the advice! :)

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio