#1 Joseph Nesbitt

Joseph Nesbitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • Boston Mass

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

Recently I was watching Apocolypse Now and Coppola was mentioning Sensor round a new technology at the time which made these gun sound f x buzzz a little or that rumble that you can hear. How can I get my hands on something like this within a moderate price range or can it be replicated with audio effects on editing software?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

"Apocalypse Now" didn't use Sensurround, but it did use surround sound I guess. See:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sensurround

"Apocalypse Now" was mixed for 6-track mag 70mm release and probably Dolby-A stereo 35mm release. Don't know if Dolby noise reduction was used for any part of the 70mm mix or mag recordings but I assume so.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:03 AM

Apacolypse Now was made in like 1984, there's been 1 or 2 developments sence then. There is a system that's eather availible or in development for MOVIE THEATERS and high end home theaters which has actuaors in movie seats so that the audience can "feel" certain certain movements and rumbling appropriate to what's going on on-screen. Now as for Sensoround for:

"Earthquake (1974 an Irwin Allen wanna be) a system called Sensoround was introduced. On one of the soudtracks of the print, a signal was recorded that triggered an oscillator that produced low frequency rumble that was played through specially installed bass speakers in the auditorium. When an earthquake occurred in the film, this high energy low frequency audio made the intestines of the audience vibrate violently, thus giving the feeling that the whole building was shaking. The audible portion of senoround was also quite shattering, further adding to the effect."

Better systems came out and it didn't last long. Here's an interesting article on the perception of sound in motion picture.

www.draminst.se/start/inenglish/articles/ljudartikel/

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC