#1 anthony derose

anthony derose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hey, I just recently bought the Sony V1U along with an M2 Redrock Lens Adaptor.

My question is mainly lighting for the camera. I understand it doesn't work the best in low light condition's even more with the adaptor because I lose two stops.

With the purchase of the camera and the adaptor I can't afford a light kit. I have about 8 500 watt color corrected 32k bulbs which are nice. But my question is can I use work lights? Such as the ones you buy from Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.co...L...6410&sr=8-3

1,000 watts of light with quartz bulbs for 40 dolloars seems too good to be true. I understand the color temp. is off but I assume that I could buy a 32k corrected bulb for each light or use CTB gels.

I'm just wondering for a micro budget project if they will do the job.

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

Sure you can use them - they are just 3200K tungsten halogen globes. The exact color temp isn't that critical since tungsten practicals are usually below 3200K anyway. These work lights get hot and they are hard to control or gel. Probably best used for bouncing, like off of a big white bedsheet. You could make some 1K dimmers for them to control the intensity while warming them up. Maybe you could snoot them a little with some blackwrap to control the edge spill, as long as you did not kill all the ventilation.

It would get a lot harder if you were trying to correct them for daylight. I'd go with making some flo fixtures that used daylight flo tubes or daylight compact flo bulbs instead.

#3 alfredoparra

alfredoparra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Producer

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

I have the same camera and I have a micro35 lens adapter, the M2 lens adapter has a lexan plexy glass from home depot and its very thick! its been cut round with a jet water laser. Redrockmicro lens adapters are Crap! I built my own and its better then theres! it cost me about $300 including the rod support, the redrockmicro ground glass eats up alot of light because those ediots over there like brian have no idea how to build one! they learned how to make those adapters from a website called howstuffworks.com DOF machine is the title and you can google it! The M2 has alot of defects and its not worth more then $500 in the retail market. let me tell you why! the design is nothing more then light going in one hole and barley coming out the other! the thick ground glass the lens and the enclosure they use is eating up the light! if you watch video footage you will notice the milky look it has, its like a dream type effect! go buy a round glass cutter and buy a thin window replacement glass and cut out a new ground glass! this is easy to do! you need drill bits that gos through glass as well! once you cut the glass out wet sand the glass on both sides, this will increase your light by 1 stop, I know two other things you can do in addition but thats a secret! I will be selling my secret by next year including my own ground glass. your camera will blerr out the background with out any lens adapter on close up shots anyways so you should ask your self do you need the M2? if you watch a real Hollywood movie you only see the blerred out back ground on some mid shots and close up shots! they dont blerr the whole movie! Go to redrockmicro and watch the crappy movie samples and you will notice the milky look and all the footage is blerrred! nothing like film at all! I would advise people not to buy the adapter! you can do better with adobe after fx! it cost redrockmicro about $200.00 to build an adapter including the rod support, there mark up is $1000.00 thats a major ripp off!

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Opal

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider