John Herzog

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

Here's one for all of you problem solvers out there:

I recently purchased a Merkury Optics High Definition 0.45x wide angle lens for my DVX100B. Overall, the lens is pretty good, although it vignettes a bit. My problem occurs when I take the lens off. The original affixed Leica lens on the camera does not revert back to its original settings. Instead, it looks as though it's stuck in some kind of macro mode (forgive me if my terminology is incorrect). Everything looks distorted, out of focus, and kind of funky -- especially when I use the zoom. When I put the wide angle lens back on, however, everything looks fine. I can zoom, adjust the focus, etc.

Is there any way to fix this? I've tried resetting the camera a few times but without any luck. Is there something wrong with the camera? I just purchased it a few months back, and have tried to take good care of it thus far.

If there's anyone out there who can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:55 AM

Hi John,

I suspect your lens is a wide angle adapter (not a converter) which only works when your camera's lens is in macro mode. The image will only stay in focus when the lens is fully zoomed out and in macro mode.

To get your camera out of macro mode, it should be as simple as rotating the focus ring until the focus numbers start going up (99 - infinity). Or try taking the adapter off and putting the camera into autofocus mode -- the focus numbers should start to climb on their own as the lens focuses out to infinity. There should also be an infinity focus button or switch (looks like an "8" on its side) on the side of the camera to make the lens reset to infinity focus, so try that.

If none of that works, then there may be something wrong with the servo focus motor. Then you might want to send it in for service.

#3 Hozay

Hozay

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'm also having the same problem. I can't seem to get it to work without it.

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Glidecam