Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hello Gang,

I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to shoot 35mm cine frames of a recently issued, high-res LCD monitor? Since they are going up in contrast and resolution and down in price, I wondered if anyone has shot one to see how well it's imagery transfers back to film.

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:01 PM

Hello Gang,

I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to shoot 35mm cine frames of a recently issued, high-res LCD monitor? Since they are going up in contrast and resolution and down in price, I wondered if anyone has shot one to see how well it's imagery transfers back to film.

I know Jeff Kreines at Kinetta is building a 35mm film recorder based on a LCD panel I think a proper camera/panel alignment is essential and then you get into colorimetry issues and calibrating the panel to the film stock. For quick stuff I am sure it would work but any LCD is a 8bit device.

-Rob-

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:58 AM

Hi,

I used to send slides out to have them done, but now I just shoot them on a reasonably hi-con stills stock off my Dell 24" TFT.

This is of course just white text on black (or black text on white, to shoot on neg and end up with what you want).

It works reasonably well. I'm not sure that the guys who used to do my slides were doing anything much different.

With a bit - a lot - of farting about with exposure and filtration, you could probably do an el cheapo DI like this. Not that it would probably ever be brilliant, or really "right", but you might get it to look "reasonable".

Phil

Ritter Battery

Opal

Glidecam

Technodolly

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

CineTape

The Slider

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC